Friday, October 06, 2006

Childhood Photos

Okay, again, yesterday was a very deep day, and again, it is time for a more light-hearted blog. It is now 2:00 in the afternoon and my husband is STILL asleep. Nevermind that he went and worked from 11pm until 7am. As far as I am concerned he has been "asleep" since he went down for his nap at 9:00 last night. These overnight schedules really stink!

Did you take a look at my new header to the blog?! I finally, finally, finally figured out how to do that. It required some deep sleuth work, and no, I don't plan to share my success, so don't ask. Okay, just kidding. If you need help, I will, of course, help.

Speaking of pictures. ("Speaking of" is my best transition!)

I found an old PowerPoint presentation I had put together for my parents' 30th anniversary. In it, I had scanned a bunch of childhood photos. I thought it would be fun to share some of these photos and the memories that accompany them.


I can remember these lunchboxes vividly. What i don't remember are those shoes! Yikes! This is outside our mobile home in Coconut Creek, Florida. Our neighborhood lake is behind us. Another fun part of this picture is seeing how tan we are. What happened!? Oh, yeah, I moved to Minnesota.



Okay, this is my preschool photo. This is one of my sad childhood memories. Upon graduation, every student got picked up by their teachers for the photo, but they thought, since I was so tall, it would be cute to kneel down next to me. I remember that I didn't think this was a "cute" idea at all. I was embarrassed and felt very different. I'm sure these teachers didn't mean this, and if they stumble along this blog, don't worry, I am only slightly scarred for life.


Halloween in Illinois. I definitely remember that every Halloween meant putting on one of my dad's shirt and being either a referee (as Keith is here), basketball player, baseball player, or some other athletic activity. I don't know that I ever dressed up as anything but an athlete. Fairly ironic, don't you think?


I love this photo because this photo is proof that I DID go camping prior to meeting JB. JB says that Jellystone does not qualify as camping but nonetheless, I have vivid memories of this camping trip with my parents and grandparents.


I just love this photo of my brother. This was in our home in Thorton, Illinois. For some reason, I have a lot of memories of our home in Chicago even though I don't have any memories of the next home we lived in when we returned to Florida.



Well, this photo kind of explains why softball never really took off for me. Look at that (lack of) form!



Check out the braids! Not much has changed! I still love my hair in braids.



This is a photo of me with my Aunt Jan. I can actually remember this day at my grandparent's house and my Tante Jan allowing me to completely ruin beautiful music. What a gal!



This bike is one of my fondest childhood memories. My parents didn't have a lot of money when I was growing up, and I know buying me this bike was not easy. But I can remember with perfect recall the day my father brought this bike home. It was a boy's bike, but I didn't care. I LOVED that bike!


My mother and father were probably 22 and 24 here. Wow!



My hair has yet to grow as indicated by the picture above.


Okay, I definitely like my mother's hair better short but check out my Pop's shirt! Dad. Woah.


I don't really have a funny comment about this photo but it would feel left out without a caption.


First of all -- what is with the cowboy hat. Second of all, this photo is a complete lie. It looks like we actually liked each other. WHATever!


My brother, the happy child. What a character!


I love this photo of me and my new little baby brother.


9 comments:

Gabbs said...

Awwwwww, Wen, you were such a cute little girl.....

Anonymous said...

You little towheads! Sooo cute :)

suebaby said...

Wen, you really were so cute. And I remember your lunchbox from the first picture. Someone else had one like it... I think it was Kathryn? Anyway, I loved the pictures... I have many memories of you and Keith being that little.

Anonymous said...

I feel old!! keith said I look better now than I did back then. I think he wants money!!! mom

Anonymous said...

Memories mark the corners of my mind... Misty water colored memories...

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Hey Sue, you were pretty cute and toe-headed yourself!!! I think I can remember you in braids as well.

Who is writing the poetry. Dad?

Anonymous said...

Poetry was not your father...tho it is right up his alley!

Anonymous said...

wendi - i LOVED seeing pictures of you as a little girl! you were adorable! hope to see you sometime soon...let me know if you and JB want to come to the cities and go to a play or musical or something...that would be fun!

Anonymous said...

You two were so cute together -and cara was the "older" sister to Eddie but when you were with Cara then you were like the "older" sister to Cara -and all so cute together...Should have freezed all four of you! NOT! :)Tante Jan By the way you sure brought back a memory with that piano pic -!!