Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Very sad day

Well folks. It looks like the end is near. It is currently 44 degrees, and that is the day's high. It will continue (unless the weathermen are all wrong) to get colder throughout the day, and around 10am, the rain is supposed to turn into snow. Last night my husband cheerfully told me it was time to wear my new coat. My new coat?! In October?! This is so wrong.

I dream of Destin and the beach and the warm weather. I truly don't know how people make the decision to live in a place that has snow in October, and as I have previously reported, snow in May. In fact, the only month without reportable snow is July. That means they have had snow in June and August folks. Yes, that's right. You heard it here first.

Of course, if you ask any native Minnesotan, things have been "very mild" the last few years. Even when, two years ago, we had more snow reported in a 24-hour period than Minnesota had seen in 100 years, "it wasn't that bad" because there wasn't a lot of snow on the ground to add to it. Minnesotan's like "newbies" to think that "this is nothing". WhatEVER.

In order not to make this post completely about weather, last night we had Christo and Melissa and their two kids as well as our friend Nicole over for dinner. JB made an awesome Ethiopian meal. It was really, really good. I am blessed that we have tons of leftovers as JB is on from 1pm until midnight today.

Tomorrow night is the infamous "Rochester Towers" potluck. I have decided to make lasagna. I think my elderly neighbors should like that. I have a feeling that JB and I will be the only ones under 65 in attendance (Dave and Lesley are out of town), but if we did not go, my little neighbor Susan would be absolutely devastated. She comes over at least once a week to tell me how the potluck is going and remind me to bring some extra chairs. JB was ecstatic to find out he gets off at 6 tomorrow. Just in time for the start of the potluck. Okay, so he wasn't that ecstatic. That's kind of not true.

Okay, off to trudge through the rain-turning-to-snow. Did I mention I am not happy about this?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, Wen. Minnesotans are (slightly) nuts. Coats should not be worn in October (even stylin' ones like yours :)).

Anonymous said...

I am in total agreement with the both of you!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Wen, Gramps Jones told me that this winter is supposed to be a relatively mild one because of some relationship to El Nino. :) It's raining here - no snow yet though. David didn't even bring a jacket, so hopefully it won't get too frigid before we return to Rochester! :)

Anonymous said...

BTW, speaking of crazy work hours, David was on call yesterday, and they don't get post-call days off here. So he will work 36 hours straight (if he gets off by 5PM today) and has already clocked 52 hours this week with only three days of work. Madness! :)

Anonymous said...

So I was wrong. It's hailing now. Welcome Winter! :)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Lesley, Dave's schedule is not good!

Anonymous said...

I really feel for you living in the Polar North. I lived in NH for 2 years (does that count?) and I well remember the snow in October (and May!). And as bad as that is, I don't know which I'd rather have. You see, now I live in FL (and I know you're dreaming of the beautiful FL beaches and sun right now, but bear with me for a minute) where as we speak, my calendar is telling me it's October and I guess I'll have to take its word for it, 'cause other than that I'd think it was summer. Or very late spring. See, as bad as freezing your butt off in October is, it's also pretty bad (though I won't go so far as to say it's worse) to have only the calendar to clue you in on what time of year it is. And there's a 2nd drawback that goes right along with it: Christmas sneaks right up on you when you least expect it. You're going about your day-to-day stuff, thinking "should I wear the sleeveless shirt or the cap-sleeve shirt with my capris and flip-flops today?" when all of a sudden you realize it's coming up on December and you haven't even thought about your Christmas shopping yet, much less purchased the (now very expensive) plane tickets to see your relatives for Christmas. And all because it's 80 degrees outside and you have No Clue what time of year it is. So while you're freezing your butt off there and wearing your darling new winter coat (very snazzy!), do some Christmas shopping for me, and bask in the glow of knowing you'll get yours done earlier than I will...because you know what time of year it is! :)

Okay that was WAY long for a comment on someone's blog (especially a first comment), but I wanted to maybe give you a positive note about your very cold Polar weather. Not that I would seriously consider moving there or anything. I'm thinking something in the middle of the country...something with 4 seasons.

Joanna (from HP)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Joanna,

My sister-in-law Gabbi is right with you. Where are you in Florida? As a native Fort Lauderdale-ian, I see your point on everything you said, the only thing is, it is SNOWING in OCTOBER and is often STILL snowing in MAY.

So actually, as I see it, we have a problem HERE knowing what season it is as well. I mean May and snow means my confusion is at an all-time high.

Thus my reason for wanting to move to Tennessee!

Anonymous said...

Wendi, I must admit you have a point! Perpetual winter must be every bit as confusing as perpetual summer. :) I'm in Jacksonville, btw.

Joanna