Tuesday, October 10, 2006

JB's schedule is weird and the conundrum (I know how to spell that word!) of reality TV

Read the title! Seriously. Weird. Difficult. Not fun. I truly don't know how people who do shift work do it. Saturday night, JB left at 11pm, and I went to bed. I get up a little after 8am just as he is coming to bed. I hang out by myself until 2pm. During this time I try to avoid making loud noises or going into my bedroom. 2:30pm JB wakes up. Then, to make matters worse, I feel like doing something the moment he crawls out of bed. "JB, let's go for a walk. JB, let's play a game. JB let's organize the storage bin!" But poor JB just woke up and just wants to watch a movie and "vegetate". Can you blame him? So instead, I put on my running clothes and ipod nano and head out for a run by myself. He's been on his feet all night and only managed six hours of sleep. He doesn't want to go for a run. I understand that, but geez, another bummer. Our window of warm weather is being sucked shut quickly. Life in the Polar North is about to come on with a vengeance.

Speaking of "outside" time, Dr. Oz on Oprah debunked a common myth. Did you know that in the winter you are not actually getting the flu and colds from the weather? That's right. Instead, you are getting the flu during the winter because people naturally congregate inside when it is cold outside. Lots of people + small places = sickness. Isn't that something? I never realized that. However, those of you who live up north know it is true. Indoor activities are all there is.

Digression, digression, digression.

Sorry, back to my Darling's schedule.

Okay so he was off Monday and today, and then he is on for eight straight days ... right through the weekend. How do you get your sleep and family-time regulated? I'm not sure. If it is just he and I, I think I could adjust my sleep schedule to match if I didn't have to go to work, but with kids or a regular job, what do you do? Lucky for us, I also have a semi-flexible work schedule. I can take an afternoon off of RLSF and work on the weekend instead. But not everyone has that luxury. Lucky for us (now that's a little ironic), we don't have children right now to try to keep quiet while he sleeps during the day.

However, we did figure out that there are two key ingredients to sleeping during the day. Earplugs and a dark mask. These are integral to surviving shift work. Don't leave your bed without them!
In other news, last night JB talked me into watching Heroes with him -- some new superhero TV show. His brother and dad watch it in Florida and call each other during commercial breaks to ask questions. It's sweet. No, really, JB. I mean that. I didn't mean it facetiously. Seriously.

Okay, so I watched it with him. The verdict: it's okay, but I just have to be honest. I have never really gotten into TV that it isn't realistic. I've tried. I mean I have seen all the Superman and Batman and Spiderman and Lord of the Rings, and they are all okay, but truth be told, I would just take a good old fashioned love story any day.

This is probably why I am semi-addicted to reality TV. Actually, this year I have attempted to eliminate unnecessary TV. I am only watching Survivor and Prison Break. That means I am only watching one reality show. The Bachelor Rome actually premiered tonight, and I must admit, it took all my willpower to not turn it on. What is it with women and shows like that? Now, please, if you are a woman, don't comment that you have no idea what I am talking about, because if you do that, I'll feel even worse. (If you remember, I gave in to this guilty pleasure for the season finale last year. Check out the post if you forgot: A Shameful Admission.)

Now that I have properly jumped topics eight times in a matter of one blog, why not jump back to Survivor. This year, a new twist: separating the tribes by race. Now this was an interesting idea, and I am sure it got a bunch of a new people to watch, but truth be told, they only did the "race" thing for two episodes before busting the tribes up and de-racing the whole thing. I suppose race is still a factor as in the end, people will have to vote for the million dollar winner. Will they return to race lines? In fact, I may actually be a racist myself -- racist against the white group (which I don't like.) In fact, it is the Asian group that has me cheering the hardest.



JB and I have our favorites, and they are NOT the two jo-smo's on the edges of this photos. Billy has already been eliminated. I put him on there because the guy pulled one of the strangest Survivor moments in history. He actually thought that when another girl from another tribe said, "Well all love you" in response to hearing he was going to be voted out, that she was actually in love with him. And he was in love with her as well. I'm not sure if this is just strange or just sad. It was the most bizarre thing I have seen yet. Jeff Probst had no idea what to say. The guy was serious. How can you mock him if he means what he is saying. He has come to Survivor and found true love. Oh my.

On the right side of the picture is Parvarti. You knew Parvarti was going to be strange when you find out she is a boxer and waitress. Hmmmm .... and she lives up to it, let me tell you what. If you want to get a lesson on "how to flirt and let everyone know you are doing it", Parvarti would be the best tutor possible.

Okay, so our two favorites happen to both be Asian. Each race had equal representation upon the onset, and elimination has been fairly spread out as well. The only race that hasn't lost a member are the Asians. Our favorites are Becky and Yul. They rock.

Okay, I guess I seem even more shallow, but heck, I have to do something to avoid searching the web for IVF statistics (a very poor activity choice).

If this blog has left you gasping for air and completely lost, wondering which way is up, do not fear. You are not alone. I am completely lost myself. I better go to work. Better to be lost making money then wasting time.

P.S. I do NOT know why my paragraphs are so screwed up with this new Blogger Beta. Hopefully they will fix this soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness that myth was busted on National television. I have been telling people for years that you DO NOT GET SICK FROM WEATHER! My mother and grandmother are notorious for this accusation. Getting sick from the cold, or getting sick for going outside with wet hair in the cold was thier claim. Even at 19 I had to try to convince my grandmother that I wasn't going to die of pneumonia. Phew. I hope she watched Oprah yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Wendi Welcome to our world. Bob works 6PM - 6AM 3 days one week and 4 days the next. Wow you think, 4 days off one week and 3 the next! Only problem is the first day is spent sleeping and the rest you end up taking a looong nap in the afternoon. He gets up at 4 and leaves by 5:30. He gets home by 7 and we leave by 7:30. aargh... Oh well, this has been life for the past 2 yrs. We're praying for something to open/work out on the day shift. Did you hear that Lord? :)
Linda

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Linda, I thought of you! You are the girl!!!! I could NOT do it.