Monday, April 03, 2006

The Dog Blawg

So, I have told you before about my friend Kelsey. Kelsey is a cool friend. She works with me at RLS, and she is married to John's classmate Danny.

Today Kelsey and I got into a conversation about animal personalities. Actually it was a discussion about work which turned into why I liked being an employee and why she will definitely be a boss someday and which dog personality she is compared to which dog personality I am because I just want to follow orders while she wants to give them.

This flashed me back to when I was back at St. Charles High School; I actually started this blog after my teaching career came to a temporary (or permanent ... yet to be decided) pause. (Now that I think about it, this blog would be all the more interesting if I could still include my teaching stories.)


My mentor teacher Mr. Smith told me that my "golden retriever" personality was the cause of my need to get out of teaching. I wasn't sure I understood what he meant.

So today after work, I had a KILLER headache. It was so bad I resorted to my Tylenol with Codeine. Normally I take these before bed, but I was desperate. This left my head feeling much better but my body feeling very loopy.

Actually I was just loopy enough to turn my conversation with Kelsey into a blog entry. Not just any blog, but a dog "blawg". (You need to pronounce it "blawg" to get the full rhyming effect.)

I found TONS of sites with information about dog personalities. And actually, if I wanted to, I could have branched into animal personalities which presents a whole new set of options. However, I decided to limit the options and simply stick with dogs.


So, here's one we can all do together.

Tell me. If I asked you to CHANGE A LIGHTBULB, what would be your response?

  • Light bulb? What light bulb?
  • The sun is shining, the day is young, we've got our whole lives ahead of us, and you're worrying about a burned out light bulb?
  • Just one. And I'll replace any wiring that's not up to code.
  • I can't reach the stupid lamp!
  • I'll just blow in someone else's ear and he'll do it.
  • Make me!
  • Pull-leeze, dahling, I have servants for that kind of thing.
  • Oh, me, me!!!! Pleeeeeasze let me change the light bulb. Can I? Can I? Huh? Huh? Can I?
  • Let someone else do it. You can feed me while he's busy.
  • Why change it? I can still pee on the carpet in the dark.
  • While it's dark, I'm going to sleep on the couch.
  • I am NOT afraid of the dark.
  • Light bulb? Light bulb? That thing I ate was a light bulb?
  • Light bulb?!? I ate the light bulb, and the lamp, and the coffee table it sat on, and the carpet under the coffee table and ...
  • You need light to see?
Okay, did you pick your response? Once you have, click: HERE to find out which kind of dog you are.

Okay, so after the lightbulb quiz, I agreed here with Mr. Smith that I was a Golden Retriever, and I began to wonder if there was anything to these tests.

So I tried another site. You can try to if you want. Try the tickle test by clicking HERE. (Warning, they put up a few stupid advertisement questions in the middle of this one.)

I found out that I actually wasn't a Golden Retriever. Lo and behold, I was a: Bernese Mountain Dog!

No bones about it, you're a good-hearted, people-loving Bernese Mountain Dog. Down-to-earth and loyal, no one works or plays harder than you do. You put your nose to the grindstone when it really counts, but you never neglect your social calendar. Simultaneously strong and sweet, you're very tuned-in to the feelings and needs of the other dogs you run with. Without having to be asked, you always have a helping paw to lend and a sympathetic shoulder to lean on. "Communication" is your middle name, and when that's paired with your unswerving devotion, you get a breed that everyone respects and trusts. Woof!

This result confused me. Retrievers ... Mountain dogs? This wasn't helping. So I clicked HERE to figure out what I really was. Unfortunately this site indicated I was very confused:

28.6% German Shepherd, 28.6% Lhasa Apso, 28.6% Cocker Spaniel ... that was no help at all. Ladies and gentlemen, according to this site I am a good, old fashioned -- MUTT!

So I tried another website. (You can try it by clicking HERE and then clicking on "game"). I thought this one might actually have something to it. The anchors on Good Morning America did it. Diane Sawyer was a Bergamasco Sheepdog.

Wouldn't you know it. After taking this test I found out that I'm actually a Welsh Springer Spaniel. Can't you tell? Look at this description:

A loyal and hardworking gun dog that is excellent at swimming and sniffing. Generally a jock of a dog, preferring the company of men with guns, but under certain circumstances will make a perfectly contented domestic animal.

Huh?

So Kelsey, it's safe to say, I think that all this dog personality stuff, is, quite frankly, for the dogs. Alas, I really thought we had something.

P.S. Oh, and how about it. What kind of dog were you? Comment away. Oh and please no anonymous posts. If you are going to post, let us know who you are (Mom!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The first test I was a German Shepherd and the other one I was 57.1 cocker spaniel
28.6 German Shepherd
14.3 St Bernard

Lady Di