Saturday, April 22, 2006

Bara's Inspiration

If you guys have not checked out our friend Bara's website (there is a link on the right), you need to visit. First of all, I always think it is important to see how other people view America. Bara is from Syria and is now in Boston. Secondly, I just love his blog. So few of us experience what Bara is experiencing: moving to another country, all by ourself. I think it is very educational. It is also fun to watch Bara's increasing mastery of our complicated language. I know my mother has become a loyal Bara-blog visitor and you should too!

Bara's blog on Thursday had to do with things he did and did not miss about home. (My favorite was that he did not miss his girlfriend because she never existed -- hilarious!)

That got me to thinking. What do I miss about Fort Lauderdale? What do I not miss about Fort Lauderdale. What do I miss and not miss about Franklin, Kentucky?

So, after deep and intellectual though, here is my list:

Here is a picture of where JB and I grew up in Fort Lauderdale Florida. Acttually, we went to school in Fort Lauderdale but we both lived in the suburbs. I lived in Coconut Creek and JB in Lauderdale Lakes.


What I miss about Fort Lauderdale:
1. The weather: This does not even need discussion. I miss warmth.
2. The culture: I truly miss the diversity of south Florida. Rochester is, well, white. Very white. I miss seeing people of all colors and nationalities. I miss how educational this experience is. This includes the way people dress, talk, and the different restaurants. JB and I have said that if we lived in south Florida again, we would go broke experiencing all the different food!
3. Our families: It has now been over ten years since we have lived by our families. I truly miss them, especially on holidays and weekends.

What I do NOT miss about Fort Lauderdale:
1. The crime: I do not miss how unsafe I felt in south Florida. I never truly felt comfortable and was constantly watching my back. I hated to stay home alone. In a sense, I am glad I learned this "awareness" of environment. However, I wouldn't exchange the safety of life here in Rochester for anything.
2. The lack of seasons: This is kind of screwy. I miss Florida's weather, but I do not miss 12 months of one-season-weather. I miss warm, but I do not miss never seeing the leaves change and never seeing snow.
3. Traffic: Oh my I don't miss this. Bad traffic, rude drivers, angry people flipping each other off and throwing coffee on roofs of cars. Yuck yuck yuck!
4. The materialism: South Florida is such a plastic materialistic culture. Plastic surgery and cars you really can't afford abound. The real world doesn't operate like this. People in Minnesota aren't concerned with how big their boobs are, because, for the most part, they are hidden behind a big coat most of the year (or a sloppy, warm sweater).
5. Poverty: I didn't like seeing homeless people or being asked for money. It's sad and makes me sad.

Here is a picture of where Franklin, Kentucky is located. I went to college in Bowling Green (directly above Franklin.) I lived in Bowling Green from 1995-1999. We were married in 1998 and after I finished college, we moved to Franklin (population 8,000), where my teaching job was located. It was about a thirty minute drive from Bowling Green and a forty-five minute drive from Nashville.

What I miss about Kentucky:
1. The southern hospitality: This is real and truly exists especially in the smaller towns. People are genuinely nice. The first time someone waved me in when I was waiting to get in during a traffic jam, I thought they knew me. However, while people are very kind, they are not quick to "invite you in" to their "social circle." If you aren't truly family, then you'll have to spend Easter alone. It's why our church, which included tons of people who weren't from Kentucky, was very special to us.
2. The slow pace of life: People just aren't in a hurry in Kentucky. They truly move at a much slower speed, and it is relaxing.
3. The respect: I miss how respectful kids were. The first time a student said "yes m'am" to me I asked him if he thought I was old. He said, "no ma'm." But saying this wasn't about age. It was about acknowledging that they realized I was a superior. Toward the end of my teaching career in Kentucky, I began to take not hearing "ma'm" as a sign of rudeness and that is what most students meant.
4. My school: I miss Franklin-Simpson High School. It was a great school.
5. Cheapness: I miss paying $450 for our 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, brand-new townhouse and that we could buy a house on twenty acres for less than we bought our condo for and half of what my parents' townhouse is worth.

6. God: While not everyone was truly a Christian in Kentucky, it was very rare that you met someone who said they did not believe in God. I had a student say it in class once and kids would have started throwing fruit at him if they had any. Minnesota is truly outside of the Bible Belt. I miss the Bible Belt some days, however, telling people about the Lord is easier here. In Kentucky everyone THOUGHT they knew the Lord because they went to church on Sunday.
7. Living across the street from Josh & Sarah: These were great times. I love our two years walking back and forth across the street and hope some day to be close to them again. (Before Josh adds a comment about them being #7, I should note these are in random order. If they were in order, I would have to divide this category and put Sarah #1 and Josh, like, well, let's move on to #8.)
8. Weather: I loved that I got to experience all four seasons but that winter was very short. Scarves, hats, and gloves were really for "style" and not that necessary on most days unlike here where you will die without them.

What I do NOT miss about Kentucky:
1. The ignorance: Most people in Kentucky were born and raised in their town. They had no understanding of the world as a whole. I said the word "Hispanic" once and a student asked me what that was. I don't miss people saying "suit" when they were talking about a "suite" and calling a "whelp" a welt (these were everyday occurrences.) I also don't miss the word "ya'll" (even though it is an all-encompessing word). I had a student write the word "you's" and tell me it meant "used to". I also could not stand the racism between the black and white students. It was one of the reasons I got along so well with my African American students -- they knew I didn't play that game. Unfortunately, the racism was due to the fact that desegregation had only occurred 50 years ago. I think it will take one more generation before people in Kentucky realize, we are all people -- who the heck cares what we look like. I hated that the white people sat on one side of the gym and the African Americans on the other.
2. Small town life: I actually (some days) am glad we left small-town life. Living in a town of 8,000 had its advantages but when all there was to do was go to the Chinese restaurant and WalMart ... oh and Crackel Barrel, can't forget that (we lived near the Interstate), it was easy to understand the argument that the teenage pregnancy rate was so high because kids truly didn't have anything better to do than have sex!

3. Playing basketball: When I think about Kentucky, I think about playing basketball. I don't miss playing basketball. I miss my teammates, but I am so passed that point in my life.

Well, that is all I can think of right now. It looks like I miss Kentucky the most which is odd, because I don't really feel that way when I think about it, but maybe my subconcious is seeping through. So thanks Bara for the inspiration.

P.S. We are leaving this afternoon to go see Justin in Des Moines. He didn't pitch last night so there is a good chance he might pitch tonite. We are going to get a hotel and come back tomorrow. Not sure I will take pictures. I don't want to appear to be an annoying relative.

No comments: