Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Say it ain't so: Airlines charging for long legs

Well after showing you my legs in my last post, I thought I would continue talking about legs.

My legs cause me problems on some occasions.

If you didn't know, I am 6'3". However, my husband is also 6'3" and leg room isn't nearly as big of an issue for him. That's because despite the fact that we are the same height, I wear a 37" inseam. He wears a 34" inseam. Little known fact: women, naturally, have longer legs and shorter torsos.

I have found many instances that the world is prejudiced against tall people. These include:
  • Bathroom stalls with low walls
  • Bathroom sink counters that are way too low
  • Kitchen counters that are way too low
  • Desks that are so low so your knees hit the top of them
  • Computer monitors set too low so you strain your neck
  • Chairs with shallow girth
  • The subway at Mayo (there are a few places I have to duck)

For the most part, these small inconveniences aren't a problem for me. I often joke that I am "bendy wendy". Normally, friends will give me the front seat when in a car, however, even in the back seat, I can usually tuck my legs in somehow and make due.

(Although I spell my name with an "i" so maybe it should be bendi wendi.)

(Well, it still rhymes if I spell them both correctly. We'll go with Bendy Wendi.)

The one place that my leg length has always been frustrating is on airplanes. There are some planes that I canNOT fit my legs in straight (I have to sit sideways.) Talk about uncomfortable. I have never been able to cross my legs while on a plane. And if the person puts their chair back, I am dead meat.

Kristi shut up!*

However, I have had good success with requesting an exit row or bulk head (the front row seats.) Even an aisle is helpful.

Lately, the airline industry has recently been figuring all kinds of ways that they can make extra money. I heard one airline removed olives from their salads and have saved $40,000 a year! Some are charging for pillows, blankets, food, drinks, and now, some are going to charge for getting to pick your seat ahead of time. And . . . say it ain't so! Rumor has it they are now going to start charging to buy a seat with good leg room.

As John Stossel would say: GIVE ME A BREAK! Charge me because I am tall. How discriminatory is that?

I did find a website that can help me somewhat. It's called the
SEAT GURU. It will actually tell you how much each airline and each plane has in each row.

In the meantime, I think I am going to start budgeting for first class. What will they think of next.

*My best bud Kristi disagrees with my prevention method for people putting their seat chair back. I put my knees in their chair to prevent backward-seat-droppage. Kristi says I get a little aggressive. I completely disagree.

And the countdown continues ... (As a side note, I haven't had a full-blown headache since last Thursday. Thanks for the prayers.)

* * * * * * * * * * *

Days until I start Lupron: 5

Days until I go off birth control pills:10

Days until I start stims: 16


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I read the current post, I'm still trying to figure out whose legs were whose on the last picture. John, you should be ashamed of yourself- do you shave your legs? Jason

Liz Nyenhuis said...

I linked to your blog from HP. I know what you mean about long legs. I am 5'11 1/2". I refuse to be 6 foot. And if I get my choice, I go to the doctor in the afternoon because people typically shrink throughout the day. :)