Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Scarlet Thread


I cannot recommend this book with any more vigor than I am about to. The Scarlet Thread by Francine Rivers is definitely amongst my favorite reads of all-time. I had previously read Redeeming Love and I am not sure which book I enjoyed more. I suppose I'll go with the latter but only by a slim margin. Both of these books are probably on my top five list. And possibly on my top two list. Fantastic stuff.

While I think Karen Kingsbury writes very good Christian fiction and that she is definitely on-par with the secular market for which I am greatly appreciative, I have to be honest and say that Francine Rivers is on a whole 'nother level. Her writing is not fluffy in any sense of the word. It is deep and winding and, well, when I read it, I wish I could be like her. I wish I could write a book like this. Incredibly powerful.

Once again, she writes a book of finding good, of finding forgiveness, and of finding eternity. I have spoken to two people who I know personally who found the Lord after reading Redeeming Love. I am pretty positive that this book has the same possibilities. Read it. And then share it with people you love who need to find Him.

8 comments:

Brittny said...

you know i'm excited about this post after all the conversations we had about good books, so thanks!!!! love seeing pics of you and the boys (and joan too!) tell everyone hello for me and give those boys hugs and kisses!

Becky said...

I couldn't agree with you more. Francine Rivers is my absolute favorite author!!! I loved this book too. I would recommend all her stuff - I haven't read a book of hers yet that I haven't loved. The Lord has spoken to me through many of them.

Anonymous said...

Right now I am reading her novella about Rahab entitled UNASHAMED...I agree with everything you said about Rivers. On a sad note, I wanted to read Redeeming Love with my daughter this summer. I was hoping we could have bonding time as we discussed the book. She wanted nothing to do with it. She is in rebellion with me and with God. Please pray.

Kristina said...

Totally just went online and checked it out from the library. Every time you recommend one of her books i read it and LOVE it!

Have you read The Sin Eater? I'm trying to read it, but it is just so odd, it's not holding my interests!! Have you read it? Is it worth pushing through?

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Kristina, I have no read it. Has anyone else on here read it? Is it by her?

Becky said...

Kristina, I read The Sin Eater a while ago and from what I remember it is worth pushing through. It gets less odd :)

Anonymous said...

Just finished "Firstborn", by Francine Rivers. Madeline read it, and passed it on to one of her friends. Now I can't wait to get the one you recommend Wendi. I agree, she's good.

Linda

Jennifer said...

I love Francine Rivers. You need to read her book "And The Shofar Blew". It is excellent! Also The Atonement Child is really good too and is the book that got me hooked on her.