Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Tired of the Rigmarole

I'm sorry that this post might be a bit offensive to some. Or a bit of a downer. But I just have to get this off my chest.

If you are in need of happy banter, please tune back tomorrow, when I will attempt to return to my fairly cheery ways.

I am just not feeling very positive in response to the moving process, and I've got to get it on "paper." Both JB and I are so tired of all the run-around we are getting from everyone. I am actually having difficulty, describing in words, how incredibly frustrated we have both become in dealing with red tape and government agencies and people who don't seem to want to help us.

I avoid, nearly always, discussion of politics on my blog. But since I am feeling a bit feisty today, let me say this.

If you think socialized programs run by our government are a good idea, you should try moving to another country with government agencies helping you accomplish that.

While there are exceptions, the general rule is that, the majority of people we are in conversation with on the phone are only looking at their sliver of the pie. They don't want to help us that much because, quite frankly, there really isn't anything in it for them to do so. And often times, they don't know more than their sliver of the pie. They don't want to bend at all because they need to follow their rules. And when they are tired of us, they bop us to another place and tell us that this other place will know the answers we are seeking. Which isn't often the case.

Here is just a quick glance into our current worldview.

Last night, JB was wading through the 300-page pile (not an exaggeration either) of papers giving us instruction for our departure. This morning he found the one about dropping our van off at the port in Baltimore. It says we need a copy of our title for the van.

We don't have a copy of our title. They are electronic now. So while it exists online, it isn't in our hands.

The problem is, like all the obstacles we've encountered, that no one can tell us for sure if we need a copy or if not having one is a problem. And no one can tell us for sure how to fix the problem we are having.

JB left the house at 7:30 this morning. At 1:30 this afternoon he had finally got the bottom of the title issue after going to the local Honda dealership and a local title company. This was after being told he would need to get a new Florida driver's license. No scratch that. Another person told him that he could just request the title but it would have to be shipped to our current address (which is in Turkey). There were no exceptions to this rule even though the title being shipped to Turkey would do us no good. Then he was told that he didn't need a title at all. Just registration. (Our registration is currently on its way to Turkey, accidentally, so that is out.)

I'll spare you the rest of the details. He finally got our bank to write a letter stating that we/they owned the van, and that we had permission to take it to Turkey. That being said, we can't be sure, even now, that this will suffice.

Oh and on another note, Honda charged us $180 for a new key for our van. Which we had to have because the port requires two copies of our keys to ship our van! And because I lost my keys during the move, we were at the mercy of Honda to give us another set.

Give me a moment to share just one more example.

Back to Scrubs.

We have an appointment for Scrubs three hours from my parents' house right before we leave for Baltimore. But then, yesterday, we received an email from the Vet Tech in Turkey saying that this was not necessary. That we could just go to a local private vet and get a copy of the health certificate and that we didn't need it to be stamped by the FDA in Tallahassee or driven to Miami.

So I called a Vet here in South Florida, and she told me, in short, that what I was asking them to do was illegal! Illegal? What? I told her that I assured her, I didn't want her to do anything illegal, but that I had been told that we didn't need the FDA stamp to get into Turkey, and we therefore didn't have to drive the three hours to go to a military base because a local vet could do it. She said this was impossible. She said, and I quote, "If I had ten thousand dollars for every time someone told me that a dog was left in the port because they were told the wrong thing, I could pay off my house."

That was comforting.

When I shared this with JB, he told me to just forget it. That he didn't care what we were told from anyone else. He was taking the dog to the base three hours away. He was so tired of the rigmarole. I was so tired of the rigmarole.

JB was supposed to study today, and instead he spent nearly half a day trying to figure out how to get our van shipped to Turkey. Which we thought we already knew. And then a new saga with the dog.

Seriously. I mean, I'm not trying to brag, but I believe that JB and I are both of at least average to maybe slightly-higher-than-average intelligence. So the question is, if we are having trouble getting all this done, how much more trouble is a young enlisted guy right out of boot camp having?

And why does it have to be so difficult?

Why can't there be just one person who answers all our questions and tells us exactly what we need?

Rigmarole.

Thanks for letting me vent.

P.S. If you choose to leave a comment disagreeing with anything I say in this post, please make sure you remember my two rules for comments. If your comment could be considered bothersome, it is only fair you sign your name, as I have on this post. Also, please speak kindly. Thanks.

20 comments:

Lisa Cronk said...

I am praying for the rest of your move to be smooth sailing! I have just spent the last hour on the phone dealing with complications of our move and we are only going 80 miles! I can't imagine all that you are going through, but if it helps you feel any better, I will tell you that I feel significantly better about the trouble we are having by understanding you are going through much more. It makes my frustrations seem stupid. We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Hug those little guys and remember that all you need is each other.
: ) Lisa

Anonymous said...

Excellent post! I really can feel your frustrations with your upcoming move. That's what I love about your writing, you are able to express yourself so well.

I wish I had the power to make all the troubles go away for you, but since I don't, I will just have to send up lots of prayers for you instead!

Bethany M (from HP)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Lisa, this is VERY comforting ... VERY. Hearing that someone like you, who really seems to have life pretty put together is struggling with a local move, makes me feel comforted. REALLY! ;)

Becky said...

I am so sorry to hear the troubles continue. It is absolutely maddening when no one seems to know what they are talking about and you keep getting different answers from people. I think JB is right about the vet, better to play it safe. Is he going to Patrick AFB? If so, he will be right near my parents. Do you think he will need a place to stay?

I am praying for the rest of the move to go smoothly and for the Lord to work out all the details. Sending love and hugs your way my friend.

Carrie said...

As a former Navy wife (((hugs)))

Been there, done that. Husband basically had a nervous breakdown from the stress of dealing with that type of BS for 10 years. Luckily, said breakdown allowed him to get out early and we ran for our dear lives.*

Just reading about what you were going through seriously made my blood pressure rise remembering the hell we went through (again - all red tape and politics) dealing with the Navy with our infertility struggles, his illness and then fighting over the money they owed us (that they said we owed them - we won in the end.) while trying to get out. No one has all the answers and every answer you get is contradicted by the next guy.

Good times.

*No offense to those serving in the military. It's the red tape and politics of it all that are absolutely ridiculous.

Nancy, Jeremy, Jack, and Julianne said...

Pretty much anything in my opinion that is government run is pretty inefficient from standing in a long ridiculous line for stamps to educating our children to treating our military with respect and helping them move overseas!. I'm sorry- you guys have had enough. I'm glad JB is taking Scrubs though- better safe than not.

Jess said...

Ugh, boo. I'm so sorry. :(

Erin said...

So sorry you are having to work so hard to get to Turkey! Seems like the military would have some sort of liason for int'l moves. Sure would be nice if you had a contact person who knew all the answers. Hang in there!!

Joia said...

STINKY!!!! So sorry you guys are having to go through this! I know you're handling it Much better than I would, Wendi!

Marlise said...

Military moves are NEVER fun! I have been part of them for 35 years! I am praying for you to understand what you are to do. We had heard that so many times. Do this here on the US side and NO you don't from there. Once you are there and settle you will laugh or you should. Take a deep breath and try to enjoy your time in FL! God's Speed and peace

Donna Gregory said...

Wendy,

I don't post often, but I read your blog almost everyday. I have been praying for you. I can't imagine all the "stuff" you are going through. I have this taped to my desk in my office and I wanted to share it today. It says "God is in Control: Today, tomorrow, forever. God is God. Nothing is outside His sovereignty. He cannot lose control. He is never surprised or unprepared. God never asks "What are we going to do now?"

I know you know these things, but I have found a lot of comfort just reading that over and over on days it feels like things are flying out of my control. Praying things settle and the rest of your most goes smoothly. Know there is a KY gal praying for you and your family!!

Donna

Anonymous said...

I am so very sorry about the hassles! Nobody enjoys the run-a-round! Just think, after all of this you will have empathy and wisdom out the wazoo for many families to come who have to go through the same thing! :-) My prayers are with you for a safe, sane, and pleasant journey! Smiling Angel

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you sometimes vent for us -this is why i'm petrifired of Obamacare!
But if it's any comfort you will find wonderful things overseas like stopping on the street corner at a little kiosk to pay a guy to make a copy of your keys right there as you stand there...I miss those things -
maybe also they are preparing you for overseas tho -because everything seems to have taken us 3x as long to get done w/ beauracracy overseas as it does here in the states (when not dealing w/ the govt!)
Seriously i wish you could put part of what you wrote in a newspaper editorial re: govt takeovers ....
Tante an

Katie said...

a normal move in the states is a hassle when it's not military so I can only imagine a military move with no one having an incentive to help you. praying your next few days are much better!

Anonymous said...

This comes a day too late, but for what it's worth: Honda will give you as many replacement keys as you want for the same price as if you are paying for only one set. Don't know if they told you that, but our family has lost keys enough to know we need multiple "back-ups."
Laura HP

Anonymous said...

Hang in there!!! You guys really ARE doing a great job! Praying for patience for you and understanding & kindness from others towards you!!!

Jenny

Dana said...

Sorry things are being so "sticky" with all the red tape and hoops the military is making you jump through. I remember my parents rising frustrations everytime a move came up, which was every 3 years until my dad retired from the Navy after 30 years. You're right there should be one single office in charge of ALL things transfer related (From car transport, to vet forms, and all that goes with picking a family up and movingthem halfway across the world!) Just keep the faith, once you are settled in your new home in Turkey all of the acrobatics you had to perform to get there will become part of the amazing stories you get to tell for the rest of your life. I know it's hard to picture what's on the other side of the mountain when you still have such a long climb but I'll bet the "view" is AMAZING.

Dana said...

Sorry things are being so "sticky" with all the red tape and hoops the military is making you jump through. I remember my parents rising frustrations everytime a move came up, which was every 3 years until my dad retired from the Navy after 30 years. You're right there should be one single office in charge of ALL things transfer related (From car transport, to vet forms, and all that goes with picking a family up and movingthem halfway across the world!) Just keep the faith, once you are settled in your new home in Turkey all of the acrobatics you had to perform to get there will become part of the amazing stories you get to tell for the rest of your life. I know it's hard to picture what's on the other side of the mountain when you still have such a long climb but I'll bet the "view" is AMAZING.

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

Maybe I am silly, spoiled or crazy (or maybe all 3)...but I think MILITARY moves should be the EASIEST on the planet. Those serving our country should have that and much more for their sacrifices. I love living in America but all too often think those who serve us so faithfully have things much harder than they have to be. I think someone should come to your home and get your car and take care of all that for you. Our car was just shipped to CA last month and it was super easy. 1 key. 1 person. Picked up in my drive way. DONE. I know Turkey is another country but does it have to be SO much harder? The animal thing all the way around is craziness to me. I love animals, esp. my crazy Christy girl. But I swear America treats it's animals better than most people! Ok...I will step down off my soap box. Continuing to pray for you. I love and miss you! :)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Thanks everyone for the love and encouragement. Your words are treasured.