Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Redeeming Love

Based on blog recommendations (thanks Rachel!), I took the book Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers with me to New Mexico, on loan from Joni. I started it on the plane on the way to Santa Fe and finished all 500 or so pages on the flight on the way home.

All I can say is . . . wow. Truly one of the best reads I have ever had the pleasure to participate in. Seriously. Christian fiction at its very finest. Amazing.

Redeeming Love is the retelling of the biblical story of Hosea. It's a heartbreaking romance between a prostitute and the upright and kind farmer who marries her. Rivers wrote the book after she recommitted her life to Christ and it brilliantly parallels God's unconditional love for his people.

The preface warns readers that this is a PG-13 book. I would not recommend it for anything less than adults. There is a lot of adult-content which is understandable being as prostitution and abuse is a major theme. But for you adults out there, I am not sure I have ever read a more amazing love story. I am not sure I have ever felt God's forgiveness for us in a more real way.

I recommend this whole-heartily. Seriously. If you are someone who has had a less-than-perfect past, you will find this encouraging. If you are someone who has struggled with pride, you will find this a gentle reminder. If you are someone who has loved and lost, you will be pricked. If you are, well, anyone, you will love this book.

Read it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book! Such a touching story! Glad you read and enjoyed it!!

Rene said...

Redeeming Love is my favorite book! So glad you liked it :)

Rachel and Hans said...

I think she has a new book out now, too, Wendi!

Katie said...

best book ever! and her new book is great, too! I just finished it. p.s. congrats on the triathlon! :)

Judy Woodford said...

Francine Rivers is an amazing author, her books are all good.

Becky said...

One of the most amazing books I've ever read! A friend gave it to me right before I moved from Hawaii to Washington, DC (when I was in the army). I committed my life to the Lord after reading it. So besides the Bible, I would have to say it is the most important book I've ever read.

Anonymous said...

Both Madeline and I have read this book, and both agree it is one our all time favorites!
Linda

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm reading Marriage Bureau for Rich People by Zama right now ---brings back the flavors, and sounds and sights and feelings and relationships in the East for me or is it just Asia...or non first world...I think you would like it even just because you went to kenya

AW said...

I tried so hard to read this book and just couldn't do it. Every one I spoke to about this book LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it, but I just couldn't get into it. The first chapter just seemed to take forever to get through. I spent a good amount buying it in hardback, as I knew it was supposed to be a page turner. Maybe I'll try to get back into it...