Saturday, April 24, 2010

5,500 feet!

Woke up this morning with a dry nose and sore throat. Slept a bit restless. As I way lying in bed in Lee & Kristi's little "casita", I started thinking. What is the elevation here? Elevation will dry out your nose and your throat and cause sleep not to come as easily.

I showered, changed, and walked over to the house where Lee was riding his stationary bike and Kristi and the kids were watching Chuggington.

My first question upon walking through the door was this one: "Hey guys! What's the elevation here?"

It was a simple enough question that caused Lee and Kristi instantly shared a knowing glance. It was at that moment that I knew I had been duped.

"Yeah," Kristi said, snuggling up closer with Ryan to avoid my tense stare. "We wondered when you were going to ask about this."

5,500 feet!

That's the answer for you.

How could I not remember this when I agreed to do this triathlon.

"We didn't think it would do any good to tell you," Kristi said, her sly smirk hidden behind Ryan's juice cup. That sly smirk I know all too well.

"Yeah," Lee chimed in. "And it least the race is in Albuquerque. Santa Fe is over 7,000 feet."

Of that brings me great comfort.

So I've been training in, like, negative altitude. And they live in, like, not even close to negative altitude.

Extra prayers required. A lot of extra prayers.

Here we go.

2 comments:

Rene said...

Yikes! I remember training for my triathlon- best and hardest thing ever. The altitude thing is killer- I'll be praying for you!

Kristi H. Hunt said...

Nene....Don't tell Wendi that!