Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Triathlon update

I have two more work-out days before my triathlon. I have tomorrow. I travel Friday. Then I have Saturday. And then on Sunday. I race.

Race isn't quit the word. I am going to participate. I am really not going to race anyone but myself.

My parents' community pool is a 25m pool. I have come to find out that if you train on a 50m pool, as I did at Eglin, you'll be amazed at how good you feel when you drop down to a lower level. Way true. Swimming in a 25m pool feels fantastic! There was a soon-to-be FSU swim team member at the pool life guarding for me the other day. He watched me swim after I disucssed my race with him and then asked who gave me lessons. No one of course. That's why I look like a moron. But according to this swimmer, I did not look like a moron. He said that I was actually pretty good in the water, especially for being self-taught. He said, and I quote, "I've seen worse swimmers who have taken professional lessons."

I think that was a compliment.

Anyways, I can now swim the 400m (16 laps on a 25m pool) without stopping for more than a second or two at the side. I do not do a flip-turn even though the lifeguard tried to talk me into learning. I just need to compete in this race before I try to do anything fancy.

While I once loathed the days I had to swim, I now look forward to my time in the pool. I find it refreshing and relaxing and something different to do. Kristi's husband told me that I would find myself getting in shape fastest from the swim. That is way true. While it can take me months to build up to a three mile run, I have built up my swim in just a few weeks.

On Monday I did a 2 mile run, 5 mile bike, and 400m swim thanks to my parents who watched the boys for me. I did the 2 mile run in 16 minutes. Eight minute miles! This is quite impressive for me as I am often much closer to 9 or 10 minute miles. I did the 5 mile bike in approximately 20 minutes. I did the 400m straight in somewhere around 10-12 minutes I believe. I was very happy with this performance and feel that I am actually going to not make a total fool of myself on Sunday.

I like not making a fool of myself by the way.

While I do not think I will ever do races much longer than this one, I am loving training for the sprint! I am, honestly, in the best shape I have been in since playing college basketball. That was over one decade ago.

My body, however, is a bit sore. I actually did not exercise today. The reason was two-fold. I did a run yesterday with the boys in the jogger. So today was supposed to be a swim or bike, and unfortunately, I did not have a moment when I wasn't with the boys to do this. Secondly, my body is a wee bit tired. My lower back especially. Pretty sore. I am hopeful that the day off will help me recuperate a bit before Sunday.

I am so excited to see Kristi, have a bit of some girl time, and do this race with her. Honestly there is no one I would rather do this with. I can't wait!

2 comments:

Brittny said...

you go girl!!! i'm proud of you for doing this. brandon and i were talking last night about how we need to get in shape. i told him i'm constantly moving with the kids, but it's not doing what i want it to do. good luck in your race against yourself and tell kristi hello!!!

Joy Z said...

I "participated" in my first 5K since high school on Saturday. I walked; running still hurts too much! I got the bronze medal. If I checked into it, I might find that there were only 3 ladies in the 30-39 walkers category, but I won't and I'll just revel in my win and be very proud of myself for "participating"! I can't wait for the next one! In fact, perhaps we will do Eglin's gate to gate run on Memorial Day. I hope you get much satisfaction out of completing your triathlon! I know you ispire me! :-)