Saturday, April 03, 2010

Back from Birmingham

Heather & me!

Shea & me!

Couldn't find the timer on my camera so the next best thing was a picture with both my friends -- teammates at WKU. Shea and I have stayed in touch since we graduated in 1999, but I haven't seen Heather in over ten years. How wonderful to catch up with girls that came in with me my freshmen year (along with Kristi) at WKU. Heather ended up leaving WKU and playing at a smaller school. She was an amazing three point shooter! Pure touch. Now she is teaching, coaching, and chasing around two children of her own. Shea and I have stayed in much better touch. She is an incredible loyal friend and a wonderful Christian who has been through a lot in her life. I am blessed to call her my close friend.

Jodi came over at about noon yesterday and watched the boys for me until JB get off work. I left about 12:30 and by 5:30 (thanks to some heavy Easter/rush-hour traffic) was in Birmingham. We had a wonderful dinner, and while Heather had to return 1.5 hours back to her house, Shea stayed the night with me at a local hotel. I got up this morning, did my triathlon workout (20 minute run and 25 minute bike), and then Shea and I had a great breakfast before she headed back home, and I headed to Panera Bread to meet Jessie and her mom Deanna. From there, Jessie and I headed to Florida while Deanna returned to Kentucky (about 4 hours each way for both of us.)

Mike and Deanna were our pastor and his wife when we lived in Kentucky. We became fast friends with them and their three kiddos: Sam, Grace, and Jessie. For those of you who know me real well, Deanna and Ronnie are brother and sister. Ronnie and his wife Ebby (and their four kiddos: English, Veronica, Hunter, and Cole) are stalkers and moved to Minnesota with us. They are still there now.

While in Kentucky, we became the "godparents" of Sam, Grace, and Jessie, and really fell in love with their family. While our move to Minnesota and then Florida put a lot of space between us and we didn't talk as often or see them as often, we have always stayed in touch and have visited quite a few times since 2003, when we left Kentucky. Despite the fact that we no longer keep in touch as regularly as we should, Deanna and Ronnie's families will always hold an incredibly special place in our hearts.

Sam is now going to be starting his freshman year of college playing football at Lindsey Wilson College this fall. Grace is a junior. And Jessie is a seventh grader spending her Spring Break with me!

The boys have already fallen completely in love with Jessie. It is so cute. They really look at her like, "Who is the beautiful girl you brought home to us?!" The best thing Jessie can do during the next week is what she did tonight: play with the kiddos. They love that attention, and sometimes I feel so stretched. I'm so excited to have her here.

Don't worry. Pictures to come!

3 comments:

Jericho said...

Sounds like you had a great time. Cant' wait to see more pics!

Anonymous said...

i think you meant ronnie and his wife ebby!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Ha ha ha ha! Yes I did. I changed it.