Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Turkish rules

I am excited because tomorrow, JB will have his meeting on Base to, as best I understand it, begin his transition from Eglin AFB to Incirlik AFB. I wish I could attend with him, but unfortunately, if we want to get things moving, he needs to go tomorrow. I won't be back for another week and a half so this really is best.

In preparing to move to Turkey, the people "in the know" at Incirlik Air Force Base have created an outline of things that they feel are very important to know. Here are some of the rules or customs that are we need to keep in mind as we live amongst a brand new culture:

1. Turks are very proud of their history and the founder of their country, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk. They show a great respect to Ataturk's name, pictures and statues. Do not act disrespectfully to Ataturk's name, pictures or statues, including Turkish money, which has Ataturk's picture on it.

2. As the national symbol, the Turkish flag should be respected. Do not use the Turkish flag for decorative purposes, such as a table cloth, curtain or a design on your clothing.

3. Ninety-nine percent of the Turks are Muslim. Do not discuss religious issues with local nationals.

4. Do not discuss politics with local nationals. You could be easily misunderstood.

5. Do not photograph Turkish military bases, camps, port installations, operations or exercises.

6. Do not photograph military or security forces personnel, equipment, hardware or buildings.

7. Do not photograph government buildings or offices.

8. Ask permission before taking photographs of a Turkish woman.

9. Dress conservatively. Shorts, sleeveless shirts or tight clothing showing your body lines are not recommended.

10. Do not blow your nose in front of people, especially while eating with other people. It is considered very rude and disrespectful.

11. Do not speak loudly in the street. It is considered rude.

12. Do not say "I am SICK"; say "I am ILL." Because 'sick' has a bad meaning in Turkish language.

13. Do not make the "okay" sign by forming a circle with your index finger and thumb. It means homosexual and is a big insult.

14. Do not put your thumb between your index and middle finger while your hand is in a fist position. It symbolizes penis in Turkish culture.

15. While visiting a Turkish home, you are expected to take your shoes off and put on the slippers offered by the host.

16. Do not cross your legs in front of elderly people or high ranking officials. It is considered a rude and disrespectful act.

17. Do not smoke in front of elderly people and high ranking officials.

18. Do not cross your legs showing the heels of your shoes. It is considered a rude and disrespectful act.

19. Try to learn a few basic words in Turkish.

20. While shopping you might be offered something to drink like tea, coffee or soda. Drink it, but don't think you have to buy something. It is part of the traditional Turkish hospitality.

6 comments:

TAV said...

interesting! please remind me what town you're going to be in? where it turkey is it?

Anonymous said...

Wow. That is so interesting! Good luck remembering everything! :) I hope you never have the need to blow your nose while you are out and about!

Becky said...

I think I would mess up on the crossing my legs part - such an unconscious habit. I think I could handle the rest though. I hope we get to find out when I come for my "kill the time till our little one comes home" party :)

Mrs. H said...

Oh my are you nervous? I sure would be! I can't believe you can't blow your nose if you need to???? How crazy!

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Some of those would be hard to remember not to do. I don't think many people use the 'OK' sign anymore. Although someone who uses ASL (American Sign Language) would be in trouble since that how you make the letter 'F'

The one rule that struck me as kind of funny is taking your shoes off before you enter someones home. It's funny because not that long after you moved to FL you blogged about shoe removal when visiting someones home and how the rules differ living in the Midwest vs. FL. :o)

Bethany

camfox said...

very interesting.
The penis gesture is sign language for the letter T. My son's kindergarten teacher taught her students to use this sign while raising their hand to let her know that they needed to use the "T"- toilet. This did not surprise me because I also learned in a baby sign book to use this sign to teach my babies to tell me when they had gone to the bathroom, so I could change their diaper right away. So I guess it doesn't surprise me that it means penis. I hope you never get to see that gesture Wendi :)