Monday, April 26, 2010

Hugs all around!

As exhilarating as it was to run a traithlon, it was equally exhilarating to have my little boys in my arms. Isaac, Elijah, Papa and Grama Di greeted me at the airport after yet another uneventful travel day. (I love Southwest!).

The captain on one of the flights attempted to board our flight faster by coming on the speaker and telling us about a phone call that he had just received. "My wife just called me," he began. "She told me that mother-in-law is trying to get through security and make this flight. So if you would all would take your seats as soon as possible, we'll be able to make sure that doesn't happen."

Good laughs. And a great airline. How does a carrier charge so little, give you free baggage check-in, and have such great customer service?

But that isn't what I meant to write about.

Squatting down to hug those two little men felt as good as running the triathlon. They saw me across the baggage area and came running. Isaac with his little bow legs and Elijah getting distracted by this and that on the way there. "Oh, there's my Mommy. And there's some gum on the floor. Not sure what I would rather see."

I had brought a couple of truck books, and both boys, upon receiving their gifts, plopped down on the middle of the airport floor to read a book.

It was comforting to watch as Elijah happily rode in father's arms back to the van while Isaac walked alongside Grama Di. While they were happy to see me, they had obviously been well loved and had grown a stronger bond with not only my parents with Grama K. who watched them on Friday and Monday.

I had the time of my life. That weekend in Santa Fe is one I will never forget. Getting to run a triathlon was a proud for moment for me. But getting to do it with Kristi made it all the more memorable. It was a perfect "mom-break" for me, and I returned home rejuvenated and quite sore. Both Kristi and I are quite sore and according to Lee, tomorrow will be even worse. I am having trouble walking the stairs at my parents house thank to some way sore quads.

There is now a video of race highlights online, and while the official results haven't yet been posted, we did get an email informing us that the run was ONE MILE longer than it was supposed to be. ONE MILE?! One mile in a 3.1 mile run is quite a distance. No wonder Kristi and I were struggling through the run.

I have a few more days here (including some time with Joan, who has been in Germany, mid-week) before returning to northern Florida. The Lord is in the small things as Mom K. has decided to make the long drive back with me. How wonderful to not have to do those 10-11 hours by myself.

For now, some rest and some time with my boys. No exercising tomorrow. Tuesday? We'll see. I'm already eyeing another triathlon in Fort Walton Beach in May. I think I've caught the bug! ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Will there be any triathlons in turkey? I hope you can at least confinue biking and swimming there!t