Friday, August 09, 2024

The Room Cleaners








My parents have been in town since May. It's so wonderful to have them here for a few months. A few years ago, they bought a little house in downtown Greeneville. This allows my parents to have some time not being inundated by our crazy family and farm, but then to also get to spend some time with us. I'm hoping they can come every summer! (They've tried coming in the winter, but cold isn't really their jam."

One thing about my mom is that her gifting is doing. It's serving. It's helping. That is how my mom tells you she loves you. She shows you by being there for you. I have vivid recollections from back into my childhood of my Mom always working. And by working, yes, she worked very hard at her job as a house cleaner and school bus driver and eventually her new job at a Sporting Goods Distributor. But by working I mean, she was always available to help people with cleaning or serving. Friends. Church. Community. I remember helping the homeless and even taking people in when they needed somewhere to live. We didn't have a lot of money, but my mom always gave of her abilities which was serving people. 

Sorry. I got a little sidetracked. My mom posted those pictures at the top of this post. These pictures may be a little blurry, but they mean a lot to me for THREE major reasons: 

1.  Hannah has a very hard time cleaning. She is an artist at heart, but she's also incredibly nostalgic. Getting rid of things is hard. She really can't get motivated by herself, but it's very hard for her to emotionally ... organize. But somehow, my mom was able to work with Hannah with no tears and no drama! It was a miracle. And not only did they work one day, my mom came back for a second day! It truly was a miracle. Hannah's room looks amazing! (The girls used to share a room, but we've recently relocated the boys which has allowed the girls to have their own rooms.)

2. During the last six months, I've had to let a lot of things go because I just didn't have the ability. I am an organized person. And I work to keep my home organized. But when your legs get knocked out from under you, you have to just say, "I can't." I had actually told my counselor about two months ago that the clutter was really wearing me down. She just reminded me (as did my husband) that those things could be done later. My mom was able to help with that.

3. My mom was able to use HER gifts in HER way to help our family. Everyone is different. Everyone loves and gives (think: love languages) differently. Really let people love you in their way. It's a beautiful thing!


 

 

No comments: