Wednesday, August 28, 2024

365 Days of Rest #36

What is your drug of choice? What gives you your "hit." Do you require every single thing in your house to be in order? Must all be right with all the people you love? Do you have to have no financial stressors in order to feel at peace? In my case, I was only okay, if everyone else was okay.

I'm learning how to be okay just being. I'm learning to find rest and pleasure in each and everyday. I'm giving myself permission to not have every single i dotted. And not every single t crossed. I'm learning to not fill my days. To say "no, I'm sorry. I can't do that."

Doing that is hard. When someone asks me for a favor, what if I just don't have the energy or bandwidth or desire to do it. Can I say no for just those reasons? 

Yes.

I.

Can.

Each and every day involves me looking closely at what is on my schedule and how full I have made things and how much energy I have to do what is being asked of me. I'm making sure that saying "yes" on Thursday won't mean I have to say "no" on Friday to my husband or children or something I really need or want to do.

How about you? What are you doing today ... just today ... to make sure you get rest. 

Today, I graded papers while watch a show I've been enjoying ... Alone. (John thinks it's quite funny that Wendi is the one choosing to watch this. Not JB. Not Elijah. But Wendi. The city girl.) Just turning on the TV and allowing myself to sit back and relax. 

Maybe I don't make anything for dinner. Maybe we just eat cereal. Maybe we don't have plans other than to do NOTHING for the day. 

Those plans are valuable. 

I'm learning SO much.

No comments: