Saturday, March 27, 2021

Seeing Carla



My friend Carla. She was with me during a very hard year of my life in the Azores. The last time I saw her, we had five children present and two in utero. Today there are nine children between us and none in utero.

Seven years. I said good bye to her in 2013. Like often happens with military families, they can be yanked apart. They were sent to Hawaii and then Texas. We have not been able to connect (even though we had dreams of going to Hawaii to visit them.)

When she realized they were only four hours from us, she joined us on Pleasure Pier while John and the other two kids were birding .... then they came back to camp with us for a thrown-together dinner and some more nature. 

My heart was so happy ... and surprisingly emotional! To hug an old and so dear friend after a year of not being able to see so many people made my heart much more emotional than I thought would happen. 






The Pleasure Pier kids. Carla left her youngest, Annabelle (age 3) home but brought Jackson (13), Max (11), Thomas (7), and Zeek (5). 







No comments: