Thursday, December 17, 2020

My week in homeschooling

On the morning of November 28, 2020, we found out that John had COVID. Thanksgiving was over, and we had three weeks of school before the Thanksgiving Break.

We made the decision to completely quarantine ourselves to our house. Only our long-time-wwoofer-turned-family-member, Jacob, was included in our "hunkering." (Our friend Anni had spent Thanksgiving with us. She escaped as well, but did not escape COVID.) 

Grampa and Grama went to their house. The Kotysnkis to their house. And Praise the Lord, no one else got this except the group we knew had already "for sure" been exposed. 

For the last three weeks, COVID has forced me to homeschool by myself -- something I haven't done in quite some time. Because Hannah's symptoms came so long after John's, the quarantine got VERY stretched out. 

This is my third year homeschool with my cousin's wife, Hannah, and her six kids. I love it. And because Grama has been "stuck on the farm", she's been helping all semester too.

But for the last three weeks, it's just been me. Oh, we've done lots of zoooooming with the Kotynski family, and with our friend Katy (a ballet prodigy who homeschools with us -- remotely this whole year because of COVID). But it isn't the same. It's been wearisome to say the least. The first week, we barely did anything because we were so sick. But the last two weeks, we've attempted to return to normal.

Today I grabbed a couple of videos of what that looks like right now.

First: me doing four kids:


Second: Isaac and I trying to learn pre-Algebra together. (Anyone who knows me, knows that math is not my thing. But Isaac and I have managed to stick together in pre-Algebra. But it's getting close to too much for me:


And thirdly, Hannah reciting one of her poems she learned this week!

No comments: