Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Tribe Life Tuesday: Dream Fearlessly

A weekly post from my childhood to grown-up friend Carrie ~ 
sharing her awesome life and her desire to have community while doing it!


What does it look like to fully lend yourself to a dream, whether it is your own or someone else’s? 

I think when we are contributing our lives to someone else's dream, we find ourselves more spent and less lent. We must be careful that we don’t spend most of our time pursuing the dream of someone else.

For the sake of clarity, when I say "dreams" I mean life goals -- your vision for your future, etc. My dreams are embarrassingly grandiose, and I am okay with that. Having just enough is too small a thing for me. I don’t mean to sound selfish but having just enough for me and my family is limiting. It limits what I can do for others and, you know me, I hate limitations. Ha! 

Take a moment and get your dream in front of you, mentally. 

What do they look like? Feel like? Smell like? Taste like? 

How deep into this dream are you? Is it something you remind yourself of daily? Is it this unattainable but great idea? Is it so scary you leave it alone, only to think about it when probed? Wherever is simmering inside of you, I encourage you to bring it into focus. Let’s stay right here today, seeing our bright, bold, futures. 

It is my opinion that being able to envision my future is a sign of good mental health. There have been many times when I could not see past the present situation and, during those times, I was allowing stress, disappointment, and fear to overwhelm and cloud my mind. It was like a barrier was created that prevented me from hoping for my future and it takes hope to dream. So what do you do if you have no hope? One of my most beautiful friends lived a life advocating hope. Click here to learn from her about hope.  

You see, I debated with myself about writing on this topic today because my dream is just out of arm’s reach. My arms aren’t quite long enough yet. I struggle with the balance of pursuing a dream and being fully where I am, and I do jump through a lot of mental hoops in the process. Because I dream so big, it sometimes (probably most times) stops me from starting all together. I do all the research, I consume excessive amounts of knowledge, and then, when it comes to the hard part of walking it out, I stop. It’s not that I don’t want to put all that knowledge into practice, it’s that I lack the discipline to start. But I am working on that one. 

Christopher Reeve put it perfectly: "So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.” 

Take some time this week and dream fearlessly. 

Thank you for reading.

See you next Tuesday! 
Carrie
*Please note that content in guest blogs is not necessarily shared by the station manager (i.e. Wendi!)

No comments: