Saturday, July 12, 2008

Our healthy little boy

Well Isaac is healthy and right on track with everything. He is weighing nearly 12 pounds 11 ounces and is nearing 24" long -- both of which put him in the 75th percentile. The tech who measured him, put him at 22" but my doctor said this would put his height in the 25th percentile and his weight in the 75th which would cause him to look like a little buda which he doesn't. So she remeasured and sure enough, he's quite in proportion.

The appointments were running late yesterday so they called me in and had me sit in the hallway where JB was working. This was nice! We got to see him in between patients. John was working with a 3rd year medical student from USCIS. When the medical student met Isaac he asked if this was our first. John said yes and then got this huge grin. "Hey," he said to the medical student. "See if you can figure out this medical question." The medical student looked a bit panicked when JB said, "Isaac is 8 weeks old, and my wife is 10 weeks pregnant. How did that happen?!" The poor guy started guessing everything from diabetes to other things I had never heard of. The truth is, people have, medically speaking, been able to get pregnant with one baby before they deliver another. It has happened. But I felt bad and didn't let the guy flounder long before I explained how this had occurred.

JB and I have actually made the decision that we plan to tell people that our kids are "less than a year apart" when they ask. If we say 8 or 9 months, people will know something screwy happened and want more information. We don't believe we owe anyone an explanation so if we just say "less than a year" we won't feel obligated to explain. I don't think the fact that Isaac is adopted matters even one iota to us, so we don't plan on telling strangers the story.

The late appointments also meant that the immunization clinic was closed -- so we'll have to go in next week to get his shots. The lateness also meant that Isaac was pretty hungry, but despite this, he laid on the table happy as anything while the tech and doctor took his temperature, his pulse, pushed on his belly, and everything else. What a boy! He is smiling like crazy nowadays. Even at Mom sometimes. (But mostly at Daddy.)

The late times also meant that by the time we were done, JB was finishing up his clinic. He made the decision not to stay even later to work on his notes and instead work on them tomorrow during his call day. So we waited for him (the frustrations of one car!) and then grabbed some dinner before heading home. I went to bed at 7:30pm! And I'm glad I did. I couldn't fall asleep between 10:30 and 12:30 and then for some reason, Isaac got up at 1:30 AND 5:30! So the extra hours early in the night were much appreciated.

Today I plan to take a walk up the clinic to retrieve our car. I am meeting Joia for DQ mint blizzards with girl scout cookies included. ("For the babies," as Joia put it!) this afternoon. I've been seeing them on TV for week and have to go give 'em a try! When JB left at 7:30 this morning, Isaac was asleep, Scrubs was asleep, and I was trying to be asleep. I really didn't feel like loading Isaac and myself into the car to drop JB off. So, I'd walk and get the car later. It's only 1.7 miles. JB made me promise I'd do it early in the morning and not in the heat of the day for the sake of dog, baby, and me. No problem. I plan to do it after Isaac's early morning feed.

So yea JB is on call. Man Saturday call days are a bummer! Work all day today until tomorrow morning, sleep all day Sunday -- yuck. But, JB really has very few call days coming up -- so we'll tough this out.

I'm also starting to get excited about this next weekend. We are going to meet my parents at Amelia Island! It is 5 hours from both of us, outside Jacksonville. We've booked a nice hotel on the beach and plan to spend Friday night and Saturday night together, just relaxing. We talked about going to Busch Gardens or SeaWorld as military get free entrance costs to these events. But the heat coupled with the extra driving time for us, encouraged us to find a more relaxing meeting spot. I know my parents are very excited to see us, well, make that Isaac actually.

Have a great weekend everyone!

2 comments:

AW said...

I know my parents are very excited to see us, well, make that Isaac actually.

Wendi, while you're pregnant, enjoy the attention and fun of experiencing your body change. Because, as you know with Isaac, once the little ones arrive, it's never about Momma anymore. I'm convinced the regular calls we get from Neil's mom has absolutely nothing to do with us anymore. :-)

Anonymous said...

O no Wendi, it really is about you!We know you and JB need some rest so we just are coming to take care of Isaac so you can rest. Really!
Looking forward to seeing you ALL soon~coach dad and mom