Sunday, July 20, 2008

Fantastic weekend on Amelia Island

Well, I stuck to my normal routine and did a very bad job taking pictures while we were gone. My parents, however, took a bunch, and as soon as I can get them from their camera, I will post them. They got some great pictures of Isaac! Anyways, here's two pictures to hold you over until they send the rest.


Walking around the quaint downtown

Isaac taking a bath in the tiny hotel sink

Here's a quick recap of our weekend:

FRIDAY:
We ended up leaving here a little after 5pm. We arrived at our hotel around 11pm (one hour later than here.) My parents had been there for a number of hours. There was a bit of a mix-up with our hotel rooms. Our conjoining rooms did not exist. In fact we weren't even next to each other at the hotel -- something JB was very adamant about requesting. I should have relaxed and let God handle it because in the end, it ended up working out perfectly. They got us connecting rooms the next day and apologized with cookies and nearly a third of the price knocked off our bill!

My parents wanted to have Isaac in their room. How sad, huh? JB and I, in our typical style, each got a double bed to stretch out and enjoy the baby-free night. Although Isaac did end up sleeping until 8:00am! What a great baby!

SATURDAY:
We woke up late and went down for a very nice continental breakfast at the hotel. After that, my Mom and I took a walk on the beach and then everyone took a nap. Saturday afternoon, we headed to the quaint downtown area. We walked around awhile and looked in the cool little shops. We then had a wonderful dinner at an awesome restaurant to celebrate my parents' anniversary. The only bad thing is that I have discovered I just can't eat fish right now. For some reason what sounds good when I order it, doesn't work well when I actually eat it. So for now, I'm going to avoid the seafood in hopes that post-pregnancy I'll be able to down it more successfully. You can't live in Destin and not eat seafood -- especially grouper -- normally my favorite!

After dinner, we headed back to our hotel, relaxed for a bit and then walked to Dairy Queen. I'm always amazed when DQ's don't have chocolate ice cream! Insanity! (None of the DQs in Minnesota had it!) My parents' hope for a walk on the beach was a ruined by an impending but never arriving rain storm. Instead, my Mom and I gave Isaac a bath, and they kept him in their room again. JB and I ended the night watching the more recent Freaky Friday. It was cute! My mom told me Isaac slept until 6:30am this time -- not too shabby.

SUNDAY:
Slept in again and then had hotel breakfast once more. We hoped to find a nice mall and then have lunch, but it was Sunday so most stuff was closed and Amelia Island doesn't have a mall. In the end, both families decided to hit the road early. Isaac had just eaten, and in hopes he would follow his typical style and take a really long afternoon nap, we headed out. Isaac was a champ. He didn't wake up until 30 minutes from home. I started his bottle and JB finished it at home. It worked out perfectly. And mannnn, travelling with a minivan is an amazing experience. It's like riding in your living room. I LOVE IT!

We got home about 3:00pm to a very excited puppy. I love hearing his tail banging on the insides of his kennel. Jodi hung out with Scrubs this weekend. I was relieved to hear he behaved, especially after I had a dream that he pooped on her sofa -- something, of course, Scrubs has never done. He has only gone in the house two times in his life -- both of which were during his first week home. Jodi told me that each time she watches him, she can tell he has grown up a bit and his behavior is slightly better! I really needed to hear that. :) Jodi is so wonderful to take him for us while we leave so we can enjoy our trip with great peace of mind.

Right now JB is doing a bit of yard work, Isaac is in his swing, and Scrubs is sprawled out after playtime with Jodi before we got home and a romp in the yard with me once we got home.
More pictures to come. I promise!

4 comments:

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

AWH...WOW, I LOVE AMELIA ISLAND. I LIVED NEAR IT, GROWING UP IN SOUTH GA. I HAVEN'T BEEN THERE IN ABOUT 15 YEARS. THE TITLE OF THE POST ALONE MADE ME SMILE! :)

Anonymous said...

So glad you had such a FUN weekend! I love Freaky Friday!

Lisa Cronk said...

Traveling in the Odyssey is riding in style! Gotta love it!
: ) Lisa

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had a nice relaxing weekend and had a chance to have some baby-free nights.

You must never have been to the DQ in Zumbrota because we have choc. ice cream. Next time you come to MN for a visit I'll make sure you get some. ;)

Bethany