Friday, August 24, 2007

Last drive to Pensacola

Sacred Heart Hospital, Pensacola

Today marks the end of rotation two!!!! Today is the last day JB has to make the three hour round trip commute to Pensacola.

We've decided that at the end of each rotation, we will celebrate. So tonight, we will go out for dinner. I have no idea where we are going to go, but we are going to go out and celebrate! John is done with Pensacola.

The rotation on the whole was not bad, and John said he will do a blog on it so I'll let him fill you in. He had a much more enjoyable experience then he did on OB. However, there was some really sad stuff here as well. When you are dealing with young children, you can imagine how difficult a bad report might be. Again, he can fill you in much better than I can since he was there and everything.
Here are a few other items of note:
  • I noticed there is now a little "film strip" icon on my blogger screen. I think I can load video straight to the blog! Wow! Blogger continues to evolve.
  • My two stories for The Wedding Magazine are coming along pretty nicely. My writing approach always goes the same way. The first two weeks are spent interviewing and compiling. Then I have a few days in the middle where I freak out, looking at all this information and figuring out how I will bring it together into a cohesive story. I complain to JB and he tells me not to worry, that he knows I can do it. Then somehow, during the last week, it takes shape and actually reads like a piece. I then spend the last week reading through each piece 2-3 times a day and trying to shave words off. I am about 200 words up on each piece. Cutting words is hard because at this point you feel every word is important, but you just keep shaving (or asking your husband his opinion) until you have it where you want it. I think I'll make the deadline! (I haven't ever missed one but I always freak out.)
  • I found out this week that my great friend at RLS Foundation, Beth, is leaving. I had a feeling this was going to happen as her husband was just relocated to Iowa and the drive is now three hours for her. She doesn't like working solo like I do and wants to be around people. So she found a new job. This, however, ultimately, means some changes for me. This includes heading up the Foundation's publications instead of just writing the text for them. The biggest task is the Foundation's quarterly publication NightWalkers. I have been writing the majority of articles for this publication for three years, however, I have not been heading it up. When a publication goes out four times a year (every three months), you are constantly working on it -- writing articles for the next issue while the current issue is at press. I currently head up The RLS Scientific Bulletin. However, that is only published two times a year. Two and four times is a big difference. In addition, we have other brochures and smaller pieces that I'll be taking on more of a leadership role for. I am excited about this and overwhelmed at the same time.
  • My parents are coming in next weekend! I cannot wait to see them and have them meet our new puppy. I love visitors and our B&B has had quite a few vacancies the last few weeks. It will be great to have them here.

Okay, off to wear my pup into the ground on our morning walk.

1 comment:

Sheri said...

YEah for you guys, another rotation down.....My husband finishes his second rotation this week! Hmmm, I like your plan...maybe we'll try and make it out too:)