Friday, August 10, 2007

I feel powerless

We lost power again last night.

Well let me back up.

JB came home around 6pm with Thai food. Yum! By 8pm, I had wandered into bed and fallen asleep. I was just exhausted. At 3am I woke up to a HUGE lightning storm. We had all our shades drawn but the room was lighting up repeatedly. I've been told that we live in one of the top lightning strike cities in the world. I don't have any proof for this, but that's what I have heard and so far, I believe it! (Remember that we were AT SONIC when one of the umbrellas was burned to smithereens!)

At 4am I woke up again when our fan went off. Lost power again. I think this is the third time in 2.5 months that we have lost power. Matt and Tiffany are getting a generator. I'm really glad. We need friends with a generator!

I woke JB up to tell him that the power was out. Well, not just to tell him that the power was out (because that would be cruel!) but to tell him that he needed to set another alarm clock. He couldn't find his phone, so he set his beeper. John walking around woke the dog up. I took the dog out and chose to sleep on the couch where it's a little cooler and where I couldn't hear the pup tossing and turning. Not having our fan on changed the dynamics of our home drastically. I could every move that dog made.

It felt like only a few minutes later that I heard Scrubs barking again. I got up and took him out again, complaining under my breath that surely the dog could hold it more than 30 minutes. Since I couldn't find a clock, I had no idea what time it was but it did seem like the sun was coming up. I ran into the bedroom. JB was still in bed.

Freaking out as I do quite well, John started searching for his beeper. I found the flashlight that I had left in the bedroom from the last time we lost power and JB wasn't home. John finally found his beeper under a blanket. No idea why it wasn't on his end table, and I didn't have time to ask him. The light of the flashlight revealed the time on JB's beeper. It was 6:10am! John checked the alarm. He had set it for 5. But 5pm!

Now 6:10 may not seem that late. However, John leaves the house by 5:30, so 6:10 was a tad on the late side. Instead, he finally left the house close to 6:45. He is supposed to be in Pensacola at 7:00. Leave it to JB though. Once he realized he was late he decided not to stress about it and just take it in stride. I think he was subconsciously glad for the extra hour sleep.

I tried to call my jobs to let them know I wasn't online. Our phones were out. Apparently they have a 3hr battery life. That had expired. I went to find my cell phone. Dead! And of course I couldn't recharge it. So I finally called both jobs when Joia joined me at 7:30. She is thinking she'll join Tiffany and I on occasion for our 7:30am walk. She lives only a few minutes from base.

Tiffany ended up not walking with us. She had company in and her plans for breakfast were ruined slightly by the lack of power! Oh well.

Quite a night. Now I'm an hour behind on work. Gotta get to it!

5 comments:

TAV said...

But do you really NEED power?! :) Remember how power-less we were in Jos?! :) I remember that, when I'd wake up in the middle of the night with the lights on (having fallen asleep with them flicked to "on" but having the power out), I'd feel the need to read to make use of the "power"! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Bogor West Java Indonesia where we lived the last 8 years -and they are in the Guinesse(sp -not the beer) Book of World Records for the most thunderstorms in the world (at least once they were) --maybe you have the world record for lightening storms; we had that too and power outages, but oh i loved the thunder and it was the time it got coolest so we'd actually try and pretend we were not in the tropics for a little and sit and watch the lightening storms on our porch sipping hot cocoa with marshmellows... when we lived in Halmahera No Maluku Indonesia there was no electricity ever -just our one light bulb in the village at nite -that ran off the solar panel...sometimes i'd be so happy the light was off and i'd try and hide in my bed under the mosquito net reading and being alone (since we were never alone all day and anytime our light was on, social beings that the Tabaru people are! _) :)
but i feel with you --i hate those long hot nights with no electricity and wondering if you just had the modem on your computer burn out! and when at least a fan could go on!
Hope you get a good nite's sleep tonite!

Anonymous said...

the reading under the mosquito net when the light was off, was by candle light, by the way --and i remember even then if someone saw that little ray of light -they'd come visit! )

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Wow Tante Jan! That's a great image.

And Tara, how soon could I forget? How soon can we go right back to what we had before.

AW said...

Wendi, living in Texas, we get many storms. And we live in an old neighborhood where the lines aren't as good as some of the new subdivisions. Our power goes out ALL the time. But we try to make it fun - light candles, snuggle on the sofa, pull out the stuff to make Smores and just talk. Yes, it means our Blockbuster movie will be late or that we can't cook a real dinner. But we get creative and make do. PB&Js and reading by flashlight isn't too bad. ;-)

Our power outages have actually been some of my fondest early marriage memories! :-)