Monday, August 13, 2007

One time is acceptable, but TWO

Hi Marilyn,

Beth is out of the office until September 1st. I'm trying to handle her issues. Can you provide me with a little more direction on what it is you need? I'm sorry to be an incontinence but I am doing my best to not ask Beth any questions while she is taking some time off.


Wendi

The email above is one I actually wrote today. Did you catch my error? Look again. Incontinence should be, inconvenience.

Unfortunately, this is the SECOND time in my life that this exact same thing happened to me. If you type this word: inconvience into an email and you have spellchecker on, the first suggestion the spellchecker makes is incontinence. I clicked too fast and before I knew it, for the second time in my life, the email was gone. "Noooo! Stop!!!! I didn't want that word." But it's too late. The email is gone, lost somewhere in cyberspace just waiting to thoroughly embarrass me.

And then the apology email that has to follow. How do you explain THAT one?

What's even worse is that this email actually says: "I'm trying to handle her issues."

Oh bother. What a dumb mistake.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!! Wendi, you're too funny! I love it!

AW said...

LOL! Too funny!

This reminds me of the time a vendor emailed my husband's company to ask about payment for an invoice. My husband, being the contact, forwarded it to accounting, but didn't want to respond without an answer. A few days later, when the vendor followed up with a second email, my husband responded with the following:

"John, I'm so sorry I didn't get back to your precious email, but I'm waiting to find out the status of your payment with the accounting department."

He didn't realize he misspelled PREVIOUS by typing it as PRECIOUS. The note took on a whole new meaning with one tiny letter! LOL! Thank goodness the vendor understood and had a sense of humor when Neil explained himself.

We still laugh at that one!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Tara!!! That is hilarious!!!!!!

Rachel and Hans said...

My mom and I are cracking up right now! So funny! :-)

crazystegmamaof4 said...

Oh my...you have me laughing my butt of tonight...that is hilarious! :) I do stuff like that all the time...glad to know I'm not alone :) :)

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of a recent church bulletin mistake: "Pastor will be on vacation. Massages can be given to the church secretary" LOL!!!

David and Lesley said...

LOL! :)

Tara said...

This is so funny!!!
I once sent an email out to 200+ people asking them for them to send me their "Puff." Similar to your error, when you put "PDF" into an email, it suggests that you mean "Puff" and I agreed to that....Ugh. Embarrassing!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendi,

Delurking to tell you that a similar thing happened to the meeting scheduler. We have a meeting in the Gonda building, but it got Autocorrected through Outlook and now says we are meeting at the "Gonad" building. Oops!

(Brief intro - found your 'blog looking for info about the Mayo RE program; I'm an employee at MC, too)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Hi Jo! Welcome. Feel free to email me with any questions you have about Mayo's program. I'd be glad to help in any way that I can: kitsteiner.wendi@mayo.edu