Monday, May 14, 2007

Update from Catalina Island

I got this email from my sister-in-law Katie on Catalina Island yesterday. All is well with their home and town. Thanks for praying.

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to say thank you to all who were thinking of us and praying for us over the last few days. Everything has turned out wonderfully!

It was an amazing sight. If you would like to see pictures of how close the fires were take a look at
www.catalinachamber.com and www.latimes.com. They both have some phenomenal pictures. You can really get an idea of how close the fires were to the town.

It's been a mess in town, tons of ash and such. Avalon is going to take a huge hit by not having tourists in town for 4 days but overall it's all ok. Over 4,000 acres burned down and only one person was hurt (fire fighter that inhaled too much smoke-he's fine now). One house burned down up in the canyon and a few businesses burned down. Overall, we were very lucky. We had angels watching out for us and I for one know who to thank.

By Friday we had more firefighters here than townies. Over 700 made it over via plane, helicopter, hovercraft, and boat. I just can't get over how great they worked to keep our little town safe. I volunteered on Friday just to see if I could help in any way and luckily, there wasn't much to do. That's how organized everything was. I made some sandwiches for fire fighters and helped relocate the patients to the hospital - that was about it.

Anyways, I never send out mass emails but am doing so this time just to give a special thanks to everyone who wrote or called. Thanks again -- We're still here. That'll give you all an excuse to come and visit!

Katie

No comments: