Sunday, May 06, 2007

A picture says a thousand words


It is nearly 10 a.m. on Sunday morning. I have been up since somewhere around 2:00 a.m. I think. JB finally got up with me around 4:30. By 5:30 we were going on our first real run in six weeks. At 7:00 a.m. we drove Tara to the airport. By 7:30 a.m. I was getting some pancakes in a local breakfast joint (I really missed "American breakfasts" which include more than eggs and toast). By 8:30 a.m. we were in the grocery store but were so tired, we had a difficult time steering the cart and making any logical decisions. I do not think I will make it through today without a nap. I also do not think we left the store with any very good food options.

I plan to do a bunch of posting this morning so please make sure you scroll down to see everything I post. I have been wanting to post photos and details for so long. I also have some videos I want to post. It is easier to post in separate entries. In addition, JB is working on a blog of "all the animals we saw in two weeks" that should be quite educational and interesting. (And yes, you will learn more about birds then you ever thought you wanted to know. Tara finally asked that John preface each "look at that" with detail about whether the item of choice was a bird or a mammal!)
I loved Tara's blog this morning -- that no matter how hard she tried, the only people who would truly know what happened during these six weeks were her four travel companions. I feel that way too. I feel that I can try to post photos and explanations, but in the end, there is so much and no where good to begin. I am, truly, at a loss for words -- something that doesn't happen too often.
Here, for starters, are some of my favorite photos of our group.


The ladies in Capetown


Riding the last cable car of the evening up to Table Mountain.



Sisters from different mothers.


Our two men who hid their thoughts that "women are crazy" on more than one occasion.
The picture I will probably frame in our home. This is the warm springs in Yankuri in Nigeria. This photo is great and so perfectly captures how excited we were to be there!


This was at a restaurant in Capetown. I just love the background on this photo (and the guy sitting next to me.) I think this photo was courtesy of Kelsey. Strong work Kelsey! Well done!


Here is a favorite photo of mine -- Ajit and me in the gardens in Capetown.


Here is a rare group photo in wine country. Getting a picture of all five of us was always more work than I was interested in doing -- especially when everyone spoke different languages. However, Ajit was never timid to ask a stranger for help. He even had one lady get fairly upset when he asked her for a group photo. We aren't sure why. Anyways, this is one of my favorites of our gang. I love these guys!

No comments: