Thursday, August 06, 2015

We Bought a Farm: Losing a Goose

JB had to put our goose down. 

Here it was in his own words: "Had to put down one of our geese who injured his leg and hasn't been able to walk for a week. It's always a strange mix of emotions to kill an animal ... and one that I raised from a 2-day old gosling, at that. Especially when that animal becomes your food. But I wouldn't have it any other way. If I am going to eat an animal, then I sure had better be able to take its life with my own hand. It's the way it should be. Reverence is the correct word, I believe."

Our Pilgrim and Toulouse Geese. Only 8 weeks old, but huge!

Our mixed herd of sheep and pigs. Katahdin Hair Sheep and Potbelly Pigs and American Guinea Hog/Kune Kune mix pigs. Getting along very well!

No comments: