Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Quick two-day recap

There's a problem when Danielle comes in town. She and I love to talk so much to each other that we talk a whole lot and it doesn't leave me much free time for blogging. I'm not sure that is really a problem, but it is what it is at least.

Anyways, Matt & Danielle got here on Monday afternoon. Matt is the fifth of the six K. children. When I starting dating JB, I think he was about eight years old. Now he is married and has a job and stuff. That's really weird. I am really old.

So, a quick recap on our visit with them before they leave us tomorrow morning . . .

Monday evening after a trip down to Destin to show them around and get some food for dinner, Danielle and I went for a run while Matt and JB stayed home with the boys. When we got back, JB cooked a fantastic meal (grouper and chicken on the grill with a choice of two great sauces, broccoli, and asparagus). We then watched the first half of the movie Defiance. (A great movie about Holocaust survivors but definitely an intense and hard to watch film.) (Speaking of movie recommendations, I have to recommend I am David. JB and I watched it the other day, and we both loved it --also a Holocaust movie but this is more of a "family-friendly" film. Tante Jan, I think you would really like this movie.)

Tuesday JB headed to work, and the rest of us all hung around the house for the morning. Danielle has been so helpful while she is here, and agreed to watch Isaac for me while I took Elijah to his therapy appointment. (He's doing fantastic by the way! Showing improvements every day.) It was great to not have to take Isaac with me, and I was also able to stop at the grocery store afterwards to pick up a few odds and ends.

At about 5:00, JB arrived home, and we all headed back into Destin for dinner at Mcguire's Irish Pub in Destin. Man are things busier around here during tourist season. I'm not so sure I like it when all these tan people come into town. We had a great time, but unfortunately our waitress forgot to press the "enter" button when putting our food in. By the time she realized it, we had been waiting almost an hour. We opted to take our food home instead as both boys had reached their melting point which worked out great. We had our appetizers and bread at the restaurant, came home, put the boys to bed, and enjoyed dinner in our living room as well as a free dessert that they threw in. The waitress felt so bad, but quite honestly, we all just wanted to hang out together anyways. When everyone keeps a good attitude in a frustrating situation, it really makes things seem like not so big of a deal. We finished our movie and ate our dinner and had a great night.

Today required JB to go back to work. Wonderful Danielle told me that she would watch Elijah so I could go do something "mom-like" with Isaac. I can't tell you how excited this made me. We just walked to the new park they built on the corner, but it still was so freeing. The one thing I struggle with sometimes in regards to having two children so close in age is that I didn't get to do all those "cool things" with Isaac before his little brother came along. It's so hot out right now that taking Elijah in his car seat with us is okay but not always ideal. Being able to take Isaac to the park and climb around with him and help him down the slide was so fun. It was just one hour of Danielle's time, but what a great blessing to me.

I also took Danielle to Wifia Wednesday. It was at Joia's house and will be the last Wifia Joia will be attending for a WHOLE MONTH. Honestly, I am not sure what I am going to do without Joia for a month. Thank goodness for the blog. She is such a great friend to me here, and I am going to miss her so much. Danielle seemed to handle the insanity of so many kids in a small place perfectly fine. It was great to introduce her to all my friends.

After Wifia Wednesday, it was back home for some naps for the boys and for me, Danielle, and Scrubs, while Matt went to the hospital to "see where his big brother does his thing." When JB got home, he and Matt watched the boys again so that Danielle and I could go for another run. Other than a boxer that got out of his house and scared me half to death as he came to investigate Scrubs (thank goodness Scrubs thinks all dogs are his best friends), it was a pretty uneventful run. No bears this time at least! I am starting to feel like I can get higher than a three mile run. I may start pushing four in the next few weeks.

JB is cooking dinner now -- it is looking awesome! I'm so sorry to see my family go tomorrow. They've been fantastic company.

2 comments:

Joia said...

It was sooo great meeting you, Danielle! =)

Kim said...

I can so relate to the two close in age thing...it does get better though. Two years later, and its so much fun taking them places together now. I love to see them interact with each other.