Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Do you have a subscription to Consumer Reports?

I spent nearly my entire day at work for RLSF (Restless Legs Syndrome Foundation) yesterday responding to a video on ConsumerReports.org. Here is a link to the video: "Finally, an antidote to TV drug ads".

Please take the time to watch this short video. Even if you don't have RLS, I hope you will find the sarcastic tone of this reporter extremely insulting. We, as a Foundation, do not care if people want to "mock" drug companies. We all hate these direct-to-consumer ads. What we care about is that while they break down a Requip ad, they are at the same time, breaking down RLS.

Here is a link to the letter which our Executive Director submitted to Consumer Reports. We are calling for anyone who has a subscription to Consumer Reports to respond to this report, and if you would, consider cancelling your subscription. Please note that it isn't the fact that they are breaking down a drug ad. This is what Consumer Reports is for. What we are upset about is that they are mocking a real condition. To see what I mean, watch the video. It's horrific and insulting. Nothing, in the four years I have been at the Foundation, has bothered me more than this short video by a teenage reporter with black nail polish. Even if you don't have a subscription, visit our website at: take action for information on how to contact this organization and voice your dissaproval.

Also, I thought that maybe I should share with you some of the other things I write for the Foundation so you can see some of the positive things I write about. Here is just a sampling of what I do all day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Strong work, Wendi!

Anonymous said...

Oh! My! Gosh! I just watched the video. While I agree with the drug part of it (I've worked with a drug company before....it's limited experience, but still....and I know how they can make a drug look appealing so they can sell it, but the reporter obviously has not done her homework about RLS. As I was watching the video I couldn't help but think that she was being snotty. Even though I've never been officially diagnosed with RLS I know I have a mild version of it and it's annoying when you finally get a chance to lay down after a long day and your legs keep jumping all over the place. I will definitely be contacting them.

Anonymous said...

That video was terrible. I understand (I think) what they wanted to accomplish by creating this video series but they should be ashamed of the finished product because, you're right Wendi, they're attacking a disease not the drug. The worst part was the comment about "only 3% of people have RLS"... ONLY!

Not to mention the reporter herself was awful. If I hadn't seen that on the Consumer Reports website, I never would've believed she was connected to them.

I'm sad for all those people suffering from this disease that had to see that video.

Anonymous said...

I just tried to email them at healthblog@cro.consumer.org. and it got sent back to me saying it wasn't a valid mailbox.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

We are thinking they shut down the email b/c of all they were receiving. All of a sudden it isn't working. Try sending it to the main page instead.

Anonymous said...

Wendi- that is a great letter you wrote.

I can't believe that video- that is pretty bad to come from Consumer Reports of all places- how unprofessional!