Monday, November 26, 2007

Guardedly excited

I keep thinking about May. I keep thinking about Bri. I keep thinking about our son. I keep thinking about being a parent. I keep thinking about being a mom.

I've often heard people use the expression that they need to be pinched to convince them that something is real. I always thought people who said that were being a bit dramatic. But lately, I, too, feel the need to be pinched, and I know it isn't because I am being dramatic. I know that this child is real. I know that Bri plans to allow us to raise this child. But can it be real? How can it be real.

In the beginning, when we were first asked to parent this child and after we first said yes, I described our state of emotion as "guardedly excited." Someone asked me if they could have a shower for me and I told them, "after the baby comes home." I really meant that. When the baby came home, we would celebrate. Until then, I would continue on as if everything were exactly the same. I would continue on as if I didn't have my hopes up. I kept picturing the phone ringing and the nurse on the other end telling me that my test was negative -- again. I couldn't bear the thought of another call like that. So I pretended that while a baby in May was a "possibility," it wasn't something very tangible. Not tangible until I could hold that child in my arms. Not tangible until I signed the papers that made him mine.

A few weeks ago, JB and I discussed that sentiment. He enlightened me to the fact that while waiting until the baby comes home is a good idea in theory, it is not very practical. There has to be a certain amount of preparation that goes into welcoming a child into your home. All right. I'll buy one bottle and one pack of diapers. How's that? He smiled but one of those smiles that says, "Give me a break!" Like when he calls me "sweetheart" when we are fighting. He doesn't mean it. Not at that moment anyway.

When we first started trying to have children, I had everything picked out. I had names picked out and nursery themes picked out. I knew the way we would tell our parents, and the way I would tell JB. Each month that went by and each treatment that failed, I seemed to let one of those dreams go. After our fifth IUI, I told John that I didn't want to discuss names anymore. After our second failed IVF, I had stopped thinking about anything related to being pregnant or having a child. It was somewhere in that period that I stopped entering baby sections of stores. I stopped attending baby showers. I ordered my gifts online and had them shipped direct to the recipient. Thank goodness for the Internet!

I listen to people who are in the pre-trying-era of their marriage talk about "when we have kids," and I literally, cringe. I cringe because I did that. I talked like that. I dreamed like that. I want to tell them to be guarded. I want to tell them not to assume that it will happen the way they have it pictured.

But then I think back to the early years of our marriage -- when struggling with infertility wasn't something we talked about on a daily basis. I long for those days, and I would never take those days from another couple. They may never experience the quietness of a home. And even if they may be one of the 1 in 6 couples who live with infertility, they don't need to feel that way any earlier than necessary.

Today, the topic of showers came up again. A shower means I have to register. I have to go into a baby store and pick out things for a nursery. I have to have a theme. A few weeks ago, I finally opened myself up to talking about names, but the idea of going into a baby department is still completely intimidating. I called JB. Can't I have the shower after the baby is born? He said something about me being "not practical" again. We need some things. We currently have the five gifts that people have given us on a shelf in a closet. I hardly doubt that number of items is adequate in welcoming home a child.

When is the right time to think that this may really happen? I know that even people who bear a child on their own go through some trepidation until the child is finally in their crib in their own nursery in their own home. But surely this amount of trepidation is not normal.

This trepidation has nothing to do with worry about Bri changing her mind. People have asked me if I worry about that. I only need to tell you that you need to meet Bri and talk to her on the phone one time to know that this is not someone who will change her mind. I also know that the Lord will put this child where he should be, and as hard as that might be, I feel I can let Him do that. I know this is what she wants to do, and she knows this is what we want to do. So I'm not sure what the fear is. But it's there. It's a fear that at some point, I will wake up, and this will all be a dream.

If it is a dream, it's a dream I'd like to have again.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well keep a spot for gift #6 because I got something for you spur of the moment. And I was thinking that I didn't know when/if/how to give it to you. But it just screamed that it wanted to be in your home!
Love you, Lein

crazystegmamaof4 said...

That is beautiful, Wen...I am sitting here with goosebumps :) How you pour your heart out...well, I can relate. I do that with my writing too. I know only in part how you feel...I think Satan puts that "doubt/fear" in you. He doesn't want you to be fully excited. But, we all know God does want this for you...I have no doubt that there will be a sweet little baby boy resting in your arms in May. But, it is surreal to think that that day is finally coming after all you've been through...after all the emotions and waiting and disappointments. If you aren't ready for a baby shower now, just give it time...I think your heart will change...and I do assure you...you need very little for a newborn baby. Having a shower after he is born is not a bad thing...but you know everyone wants to shower this baby and you and JB with love and gifts! :) Always thinking of you and praying for you! Love, Kel :) P.S. "Auntie" Lein always finds great gifts...I'm interested to hear what it is :)

Anonymous said...

I loved what Kel wrote.
I thought if you're not ready yet don't worry -it really is okay afterwards. Many moms to be opt to wait til afterwards...and we all know how to send gifts even without a shower so you could make a list somewhere of what you feel you'll need....
then when you want a shower you can let the word out that you're ready! But it IS wonderful to have husbands who help us think practically isn't it? maddening as it is sometimes.
xo Tante Jan

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Thanks all! Yes, Lein, I want to see what it is. I was thinking we should have a get-together in January. Will you be home then Kel? What's your schedule!?

I'm not sure I'll ever be ready so maybe best just to jump in.

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendi and John,

I wanted to congratulate you on your pending adoption. I was a child who spent the better part of my childhood years in fostercare and later adopted by my 6th grade teacher. I am in contact with my birth family as well. If you ever need me, wish to talk to me or ask me ANY questions - Please do not hesitate to email or call - It would be an honor and a privilege. Please know that Byron and I have prayed for both of you over all these years. You both have a special place in our hearts.

I am so happy for everyone involved.

Blessings to You and Yours,
Stacy Cox

Anonymous said...

Wendi, your post brought tears to my eyes. As an HP sister, I can identify with the fear. Praying for you that the fear will lessen and that your heart will allow you to enjoy your beautiful May gift from God.

-HP sister

Anonymous said...

Each of us has a unique way of coping with uncertainty, so my advice is to go with your gut and take the time you need. We purchased nothing in advance, and the designated nursery remained a guest room until after our daughter was home. Gradually, as I felt more comfortable calling her "mine," we accumulated more stuff. But it wasn't until 6 months later, after the adoption was finalized, that I felt secure enough to decorate her room how I'd always envisioned. Similarly, your way will be the best way! :^)

Anonymous said...

Wendi - I think I feel exactly as you do (don't know if you remember, but we also are expecting a May baby after 2 yrs of infertility and surgery + IVF/ICSI). I think we are not experiencing anything unusual. After so many disappointments and years of trying, it is hard to believe it's really happening. Frankly, I keep expecting someone to say, "Whoops, you're not supposed to have that, we're taking it back" and then it will be just me again.

I *want* to be wholeheartedly excited about my child and all that, but truthfully, I don't think I'm going to believe it until I see and hold a live baby and someone tells me it's mine to take home. Maybe if I feel it moving, it will seem more real. But right now, it doesn't. And like you, I have not bought anything for the baby. I've knit and sewn a few things, but I don't want to buy stuff until the baby is here. I guess we'll need a car seat, though, Mayo doesn't let you take the baby home if you don't have one.

My friends who don't know infertility firsthand think I'm unhappy about being pregnant. That's not what it is at all. After so much suffering, you just don't assume good things will happen automatically. I can't think about the future too much, let alone talk about it, because it seems so uncertain and ephemeral. "Guarded" is the perfect word to describe the happiness and anticipation that I am experiencing.

As an aside, I also am terrified of being a bad mom. I spend much of my "daydream time" reliving awful childhood experiences and telling myself that when I'm the parent, I'd handle it differently, do this instead of that, and so on... But that's another story for another time.

Well, enough about me. I just wanted to tell you that I don't think your level of trepidation is abnormal. You and JB suffered through much more than Matt and I had to, and I think you are handling everything with grace.

Anonymous said...

Dear Wen,

I can't say and I won't try to say, I understand how you feel. While reading your blog I felt God's heart for this gift he has brought you through Bri's baby boy. His plan is perfect and baby's are nothing less than the perfect present...no matter how it is delivered.

God wants to give this to you and for you and John to enjoy every part of it possibly including a shower, all the preparations, gifts, baby stores,etc. For Him to see your face light up over every aspect of this delivery is what He wants to give to you. I know you know this fear is not from him. He's the opposite; love.

To love the whole experience.
To love the preparations needed to be made to welcome this present.
To love and embrace the love people extend to you.
To love even the unkowns of what motherhood will bring to your life.

I think getting the baby will be amazing and beautiful, but I also think the time leading up to it can be too (that's part of His present.)

Love,
LT

Anonymous said...

Lots of widom posted here! You are always transparent in your writing, Wendi. How wonderful to be able to pour out your heart through your writing. AND, how wonderful to see others respond to what you have written. As I read you entry, I can't pretend to understand your concerns...we all react differently to what we go through. For me, it was being pregnant with a baby boy, going into labor, having my uterus explode during delivery, and having to have an emergency hysterectomy. Our beautiful baby could not be saved and our desire for more children came to an immediate halt. I spent many dark days wondering why...and fear crept in and clouded any joy God wanted to bring our way. I was filled with distrust and fear. I constantly had to say Romans 8:15 out loud. The fear and distrust I lived with was paralyzing and I knew it was not where God wanted me to be. I had to choose to fight against those feelings. Everytime they swept over me, I had to put on boxing gloves and wrestle with Satan and tell him I wasn't going to give in. This may sound hokie, but I often found myself talking out loud to Satan and telling him that God was stronger, that God was faithful, that God ALWAYS sends things for our good and for His glory. Continue to trust, Wendi. Continue to bring everything to your heavenly Father. Fight against Satan - the one the Bible says is like a lion...all he does is lurk around, seeing whom he can devour. Don't let him devour your joy...allow yourself to enjoy this special time in your life.

Anonymous said...

Wedi, maybe the anxiety you're experiencing is just a natural part of the grieving process. I read this article one and maybe you'll find some nugget of truth in it that will be of comfort to you:
Grief is a real part of infertility. It may be heightened in miscarriages or stillbirths, but it is just as real when a couple cannot conceive. The sorrow Kerrie and I experienced the day we received our lab results was as deep as the grief we would have felt if she had called to tell me her parents had passed away.
Scripture confirms the close connection between the two losses. Proverbs 30:15-16 tells us the grave and the barren woman are two things that are never satisfied. The sense of loss from infertility will frequently resurface whenever life situations — such as a menstrual cycle or the birth of a child to another couple — trigger painful feelings of the opportunities lost.
Journey through pain
We must not be afraid to grieve and allow these responses to run their course. We should, however, guard against allowing our heartache to slide into despair.
Grief is complex and usually accompanied by a myriad of other emotions. Because of its intricacy, grief can take considerable time to work through. The “normal” length of mourning, however, is difficult to define.
During our grief journey, Kerrie and I found two crucial actions that allowed us to mourn our loss without slipping into despair.
1. We recognized grief as a process and identified where we were in it.
C.S. Lewis once wrote, “Sorrow . . . turns out to be not a state but a process.” The key is to keep moving forward. When stymied by sorrow, we risked slipping into despair.
We see evidence of this in the life of Hannah (1 Samuel 1:7-11). Because of her infertility, Hannah plunged into a state of hopelessness that lasted for years. Finally, she cried out to the Lord and found new hope. It is critical to make choices that keep us from getting permanently bogged down in mourning.
2. We focused on the right things.
Growing up, I was a track sprinter. I learned to focus on what was in front of me and ignore the runners in the lanes next to me and behind me. To win, I needed to fix my eyes on the finish line. Grief can also be navigated more successfully by keeping focused on the right things: Jesus and the race He has for us to run.
A full life
Physical barrenness is beyond our control, but Kerrie and I can take steps to ensure we don’t suffer spiritual barrenness. By focusing on God, we can enjoy a life that is neither “barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ” (2 Peter 1:8, KJV).
Even though we’ve been blessed with two wonderful adopted children, Kerrie and I still experience feelings of loss and the sense that we’re missing out on something. But ultimately, we realize God is on the throne, and we have decided to focus on Him rather than our grief.
Brad Nelson is the pastor of Princeton Bible Church in Princeton, N.J.

A from TX

Anonymous said...

The last anonymous blog on grief was something to keep in my journal -
it would be a comfort and help to anyone who has gone thru a deep grief. Understanding grief and its process is not something you hear much about at church! i loved it and it helped put into words some things deep in my heart i've worked thru...so neat how your blog opens up people's hearts and different responses will touch even different people.
with love Tante Jan