Sunday, November 04, 2007

Another call night down

Well yesterday was not a good call night for John. Not only did he have to do an extra hour of work, but he only got one hour of sleep. There weren't a lot of patients, but there was one man that very ill that required their work throughout the evening. Highlight of the night: John inserted his first chest tube -- a strong solo performance!

I actually had lunch and dinner with John yesterday. Lunch was nice and relaxed, but dinner was amidst the chaos of the new patient. This meant that while JB ate the Greek take-out I brought, he was looking at x-rays and constantly checking the labs for this man. Clay, the second year resident who also attends our church, was on with JB, and as the two of them talked, I was reminded again: wait a second. My husband is a doctor!

I know it should be obvious, but I don't really ever get to see my husband at work so sometimes I forget that when he leaves in the morning, he goes somewhere and speaks a completely different language for 8, 12, or 24 hours before coming home and switching back into discussions with me about the dog, my afternoon run, or what's for dinner.

I'm so proud of JB for working so hard and being a physician. But I have also been surprised how slow I am to tell people I am married to a doctor. When they ask what my husband does, I often reply: "He's in health care." It's not that I am not proud, but more that I have become aware that being a doctor (and a doctor's wife) carries with it some stigmas that I am not completely comfortable with. I don't want to be seen as rich or snobby or uppity or anything like that. So I often fail to give the whole story. When pressed, I'll tell them. But until then, health care will suffice.

JB got home around 8am. We had some french toast (that I made!) and then watched a bit more of the movie Transformers. JB stopped it part-way to head to bed. He slept for four hours and now we are just hanging out. I'm scrapbooking, and JB is doing some art as well. He's started a new type of art, and I am so excited to see him actually doing art for fun again. I'll have to take a picture of the stuff he's doing later -- we hope to inspire our nursery after this first piece so it's exciting.

We plan to hit the new Indian restaurant in town for a nice dinner this evening. It's only 4:15, but this time change really screwed me up. it feels like 6 or something! I love when it stays light out for longer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendi and John

I miss you both so much!!! I'm so sorry I haven't emailed and don't keep in touch like I want to . . . I heard of your upcoming adoptionS (more than one), there are not two people I could think deserve this more than the two of you. I am so very happy for you both and you have always been in my prayers. John I hope you're surviving residency, it sounds like it. Wendi, hang in there, they say it gets better, I know you're strong and you seem to be handling fairly well John being so busy. I wish you both the best always. Hope to hear from you some day soon . . .

Love,
Summer

Anonymous said...

Great post, Wendi! =)

I'm so excited to find out what the new artwork is! Cool!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Hi SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!

Joia, we'll show you soon. ;)