Tuesday, October 02, 2007

WORK IS CRAZY!

Sorry my blogging has been a bit pathetic. I only have one excuse: WORK IS CRAZY!

Here's just one example of what I am dealing with. I am trying to set up an "online store" for the RLS Foundation's website. This will be a place that people can buy our products -- stuff like sweatshirts, polos, blankets etc. In the past, visitors could only download a brochure and fax it in with their order. Now, we will allow people to buy products online.

The problem? The store doesn't allow sizes and colors to run simultaneously. For instance. Let's say there is a yellow sweatshirt and a blue sweatshirt. But let's say there are no mediums left in yellow. I can't tell the program that. So someone could order a yellow shirt in medium, and we don't have it.

So what do I do?

I really don't know. I guess one option is to create a different "choice" for every different color. Man, that will be a lot of work.

That's just one example. As you know, my wonderful coworker Beth recently resigned her position. This gave me a promotion but also gave me a lot of responsibility. Both of our major publications: NightWalkers (goes out four times a year) and The RLS Scientific Bulletin (goes out two times per year) is getting ready to go to press as we speak. I am the main person in charge of every page of these publications.

Oh and two brochures for health care providers need to be reprinted. So I need to edit those, send to the designer, and reorder from the printer.

In the meantime, we are contemplating moving our Support Group Leader's email to a new server. I think this means I will have to set up 100 new email accounts on a new page. I'm not sure how feasible that is.

I have three conference calls this week.

And that's just RLSF. At Mayo, my boss is about to put out a grant later this month which is always high stress. There's also been a lot of schedule changes with his calendar that I have been trying to deal with.

So, this post may have been boring, but those are the facts of my stress.

And you know what? I have to get back to work.

No comments: