Saturday, October 06, 2007

Four months?

In some ways, it is hard to believe that four months has gone by. Four months ago we moved to Florida. Four months ago we still lived in Minnesota. Four months ago we did our fourth IVF. Four months ago, JB was still a medical student. Four months ago we did not have a dog. We did not have a house. We did not have feeling in our feet.

In other ways, I cannot believe that it has only been four months since we moved here. It feels like I have been friends with some of these wives for years, not just months. It also feels like I have always been a Floridian. I remember feeling very nervous that we would get here and not have any friends and not make any friends. Now, only four months later, I truly believe that my social circle is quite wide enough to get me through the next three years of residency. What a blessing!

As October comes into full swing, I am reminded constantly that we no longer live in the Polar North. Yesterday during my morning walk, I saw a home with fake fall leaves in their hedges. That's sad. Sad that the fake leaves indicates we won't see any real ones here. Sad that someone would go to the trouble of putting fake leaves in their yard. I also know that this means the fake winter snow isn't too far behind. No one in Minnesota would dream of spraying their windows with fake snow! And they wouldn't put fake leaves up either. But here. Well, it's the only change of season people have.

(Does that paragraph indicate that there are things I miss and will miss about our life in the Polar North? I guess so.)

Residency, has, however, settled down a bit. I must be honest. After the first two months here, I truly had doubts whether I would be able to manage this for three years. JB started with two of the most difficult rotations there are, and even though everyone told us that it wouldn't be like this all the time, I had trouble believing it. Those people, however, were right. While the one month of nursery that followed was still busy, the last week he has spent on ortho has been MAGNIFICENT! Honestly, he is home so much and so early now, that I am the one who is "working so much."

October will bring other wonders to our new home. Kelsey is coming to visit at the end of the month! I can't wait to see her! And then, in November, Hans and Rachel come in for a weekend followed by my parents and Keith and AD (my brother and his new wife!) So exciting to have more guests here and to share our lives with them.

It's been a great four months.

No comments: