Tuesday, May 04, 2010

More funnies

There are so many funny things that happen throughout my day. I feel like I keep saying, "I should write this down." Unfortunately, before I can, something else has occurred to send me spinning in a completely different direction and forgetting what has just happened.

But yesterday two things happened that I couldn't forget.

The first is that I lost Elijah. You don't really forget something like that. And, no, it wasn't funny at the time, but looking back, it was a little bit funny.

Elijah has gotten into hiding. If you tell him to leave a room, he drops behind a chair or the bed. Never mind that you are watching him go to his hiding place and know exactly where he is. He thinks it's hilarious.

In reality, it was probably only about 45 seconds. But it felt like 10 minutes. I t was enough time that I had enlisted Isaac's help. I went to the bathroom, came out, and couldn't find Elijah. Since my friend Robyn had just left, I worried that he had slipped out the door behind her. I asked Isaac where he was and then the two of us ran from room to room calling his name. Isaac has started calling his brother "Ewijah Wuke" (for Elijah Luke) which helped lighten the moment.

I was just starting to make a decision whether or not to move my search to the outdoors, when I found Ewijah Wuke, curled up in a corner behind the footstool, smiling, holding a stuffed animal, and thinking this was the greatest game ever. He totally knew we were looking for him. And he thought it was great fun.

Not funny at the time.

A wee bit funny in retrospect.

And he wasn't the only one making me laugh yesterday. The other moment yesterday concerned Isaac.

When we returned home from Joia's, Isaac was post-nap and was very distraught that we were no longer going to be "buh-bye." He began sobbing, uncontrollably. We have a rule in your house. You get a few minutes of sobbing. But then, if you can't put a finger on what you need, we just ask you to go cry in your room. You are allowed to cry. But you can do it where we don't have to hear it so loudly. This isn't for injuries or sickness or anything important. We do it when the crying has no apparent cause.

I asked Isaac to go cry in his room. But Elijah kept following him in there. So I instead put Isaac in the pack-n-play in the guest room that we sometimes use for naps. He screamed when I set him down, but in just a few minutes, stopped crying completely.

I went in to check on him. He had discovered Elijah's pacifiers, two of them, tucked somewhere in the pack-n-play. Isaac has never really used a pacifier so he has no idea how to use them. He had two of them in his mouth, rings around his two pointer fingers, just having a merry old time.

I asked him, as I always do, if he was done crying. "Do you want to come out with Mommy?" I asked.

He looked at me, glanced up at the ceiling, glanced down at the pacifiers in a cute, cross-eyed sort of way, and politely said to me despite his red eyes and tears on his cheeks, "Shut the door Pease Mommy."

He needed privacy with his pacifier sucking. So I gave it to him. I returned a few minutes later to a much happier Isaac. Done sucking and ready to face the world without crying.

Sweet moments.

1 comment:

AW said...

OMG, the Isaac/paci story is so cute! JK says that now when he goes potty. He "can do it yike a bid boy, aw by myseff" and doesn't like an audience (i.e. Mommy or Daddy) sitting on the side of the tub.

I just love that he can talk so well!