Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Blog question: Does Elijah ever wear pants?


Keenan walked into our house the other day. He said hi to Isaac and then said, "Hey! You aren't wearing any pants." He was right, Isaac was in a onesie. Again. And, looking to my left, so was little brother.

Here's the truth about me and clothes for my boys. Neither of them leave the house in onesies. If we go out, we put on shorts and pants. But I have found a very good strategy for clothes wearing in my house. I don't say it is for everyone, but with two babies, and two times the diapers, it really works for me.

When the boys get up in the morning, I let them stay in their pajamas for a bit. Then, when I am ready, we transition into onesies. The reason? Well, changing them is sooooo much easier. Elijah now understands us better and therefore we are requiring him to lay still on the changing table. But it doesn't come easily to him. Having to pull off and then put on shorts and pants just takes longer.

Another issue. If it is cold outside, and I put them in pants, they start dragging and tripping over a lot of the pants when they don't have shoes on. But if I put shorts on them, then, when we decide to go outside to play or go somewhere, I have to take off the shorts and put on pants. In theory I could just put the shorts back in the drawer, but I often don't and then I can't remember if they are clean or dirty or what. More time. More inconvenience. And more laundry.

A third reason for the onesies: my boys both seem to sweat during their naps. Elijah's nap room is cool. Isaac's nap room is warm. I try to meet it in the middle, but, ultimately, one of them is sweating when they wake up. Onesies keep them cooler.

So I have found that if I just put onesies on, I have great flexibility during the day. If we want to go outside or go somewhere, I can just pull on shorts or pants. If it is cold outside, I can pull a long-sleeve shirt over top of it. It's fantastic.

And when you are changing a wiggling, squiggly, thirty pounds of muscle like Elijah, quickness is everything.

I am sure that as the weather gets warmer, with both boys now over one, I will stop doing this and just move into all shorts and t-shirts. But at least right now, while winter is still upon us, the answer to this question is: ummm, inside, Elijah never wears pants!

Please feel free to share your strategies for ease of clothes in your home!

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

I agree, no reason to get kids all dressed up if you are just staying in the house. I think you have the right idea!

Angie said...

So glad you answered!! It made me laugh and I totally understand the theories... :) Thanks!

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

I was the SAME way when my Irish Twins were little! :) They were both in onesies until we went out or Sis was in a dress and B in onesies! With 2 LITTLE ones I picked my battles...STILL do! :)

nicole said...

Um, if we have kids they're wearing onesies at ALL times in the house until they can dress THEMSELVES! Better yet, I might just let the little rugrats go naked - all you really need is a diaper, right? If anyone gets dirty, I'll just hold 'em up in the stream of water from the shower! LOL!

Bravo Wendi!

Tiffany said...

I only have one little one and although he does wear pants around the house now, during the summer he actually lived in just a diaper unless we went out and about anywhere. In our current house his room is the hottest room of all and I often let him nap with just a shirt on. I don't blame you for having pant-less boys at all. :-)

Jess said...

we often wear pj's until nap or even till after nap.

when they were little, I was TOTALLY into the one piece sleepers with the holes in the bottom? yeeeah.