Sunday, February 07, 2010

Our Saturday

Yesterday was a JAM packed day! Add to that Kristi's departure very early this morning and a migraine I just couldn't seem to kick (please continue to keep me in prayer regarding this situation if you will), and my blog updates got a bit behind. So sorry!

First of all the birthday party was fabulous! It was short and sweet (about 1.5 hours) but perfect for the age of the kiddos in attendance. Chik-Fil-A is an awesome place to have a party. The cleanliness, cost, and customer service is incredible. Way better than McDonalds where we had Isaac's first birthday in May. I strongly recommend it. Sarah was there with her daughter Della, Joia with Keenan and Moriah, Brittny with Christopher and Sophie, Robyn with John Benjamin, and Erik and Andrea with Chloe and Jonathon. Add my two boys and that gave us ten kids. A perfect number I think.

Staying in line with our safari theme, Kristi and I made little bags full of different kinds of animal crackers for all the kids to have. We also had party hats, and Chik-Fil-A provided a cow for all the kids. Kids meals and ice cream (although it has eggs in it so Isaac couldn't have it) were provided and we brought cupcakes. Way fun!

After the party, JB took the boys home, and Kristi and I hit the town. We went to the outlets and to PF Changs for lunch and then saw The Blind Side. Shopping = awesome. Dinner = awesome. The movie = awesome! The whole day was awesome.

It was so wonderful to have my dear friend here. To have "Itsy" as Isaac calls her be able to spend time with my boys and get a little vacation from her own kids felt nearly surreal. Both of us kept saying: I can't believe we are doing this! We talked non-stop, caught up on everything, and just enjoyed being together. So much has changed -- we have husbands and kids now and she lives in New Mexico and I back in Florida.

But so much is the same.

For instance, on Friday afternoon, we took naps while the kids did. We slept on opposite sofas. It felt so natural. Like we were back in college across our dorm room from each other. There was no need to make small talk. It was time to rest.

Yesterday we shopped. Kristi has always been a better shopper than me. She was trying on belts and she handed me the one she was wearing, and I held it without even a word between us. It was as if we still knew the teamwork that had always existed in our friendship.

Sometimes I think about my time at WKU. I wonder if I made the right decision playing basketball and not volleyball. I wonder if I made the right decision going high Division I and sitting so much when I could have gone to a smaller college or even a lower Division I and been a superstar.

But then I look at Kristi and some of the other dear friends that I made during my time at Western. Jaime and Shea and Laurie and Mary and Katashia and so many others. I would not have met those people. I would not have them in my life.

I can't imagine not having Kristi in my life. We came to WKU as different as could be. I was a "city girl" from sprawling South Florida. Kristi was a rancher's daughter from a town of 200. Other than basketball, I don't know that we had anything in common.

But the Lord knows best. He knew what I needed. He knew what she needed.

We graduated near the turn of the century. And now, a decade later, she is still the first person I pick up the phone to call when life has hit me head on. Kristi is an amazing person. She is so full of life and love for her family and for the Lord. I feel inept at putting into words the way her visit made me feel.

I love you Kris! Thank you for blessing my life for the last fifteen (HOLY COW WE ARE OLD!) years.

5 comments:

Joia said...

It was So awesome to meet Kristi after hearing so much about her, and seeing her online, etc... I felt like I already knew her. She is awesome! =0)

hiva said...

it's really nice having such a friend.
and your kids are so beautiful such angels.
by the way! it's first time that I visite your blog! and I'm so happy. but unfortunately you can't read my blog because I write in persian!(my english is not good! then, surry for my mistakes!)

Katie Capps said...

I am glad that you two had such great fun ... you guys always had such a special friendship!!

One a sad note, please keep the Lady Topper family in your prayers today .... Cacie Pope, a former Lady Topper diagnosed with a brain tumor her freshman year passed away last night after a courageous 6+ year fight!! She was much younger than you and I, but was very much a part of the LT family.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Oh Katie! I had no idea. Thank you for the update. Is there a website with more info?

Anonymous said...

Cacie was a special person and will be missed by the entire Lady Topper family.

http://mcompton.wordpress.com/2010/02/08/remembering-cacie-pope/