Friday, October 17, 2008

Hotel room adventures

Hanging out in a hotel room for days on end is quite an adventure. It is especially an adventure with a five month old. The only thing we really brought for him from home to "play" with is toy gym. So we have that and his stroller and, well, Mommy. Despite not having his swing or chairs or exersaucer, he's been doing really, really well. He sleeps through the night without fail, and while naps are a bit more difficult due to a lot of banging doors, he seems to be managing quite nicely. (Thanks to those of you who suggested a fan. At home, we run one all the time and run the fan on the AC as well. We are running the room fan, but unfortunately, luggage restrictions wouldn't allow us to bring one. If we are car travelling, we are definitely on that!) Anyways, at home he usually takes a good 2-3 hour nap each day. Here, all of his naps are very short 45-minute snoozers. By 7:30 he cannot keep his eyes open and has fallen asleep each night and not gotten up until at least 6am.

Another thing we have come to realize about Isaac is that he really only has about 4 toys that he wants to play with. He has a rocking horse, a teething ring, some plastic pictures of animals, and a red canary. He also likes these fuzzy animal books we brought with. But that's it. Any other toys we give him he refuses to even grab. It's quite cute. I really wasted a lot of space bothering to bring any other toys.

Here are some photos I have taken during our time in room 203.

A quick nap during playtime.

Isaac playing in his gym. Somehow he got the blanket flipped on top of his head, and I thought it looked pretty cute! I think the toy gym is losing its novelty being as it is our main source of entertainment here in Utah.


We've still been attempting tummy time. He still really, really hates this and screams most of the time. He totally has the ability to push up and even roll over if he wanted to; he just doesn't seem to want to.

Yesterday morning he gave up altogether. He is sound asleep here while drooling on a little mirror. JB asked me if we were raisng a narcissistic son?

I've done some pillow propping so he can change positions and still play a little bit. He will fall forward or to the side with this set up so since this picture, I have resorted to putting pillows on all sides to keep him from needing me to reprop him so often.

In other, non-Isaac news . . .

Yesterday, JB took a mountain climbing course. Or at least that's what he thought it was. When he got there, he discovered it was actually rock climbing. But he LOVED it. He didn't, however, even attempt to talk me into taking up this activity with him. No thank you!

After he got back, we headed to dinner at a little pizza place. We then stopped at a grocery store for some formula. I wanted something sweet but not something I would gorge on. I found these little Ben & Jerry's ice creams for $1 in the frozen section. They come with their own spoon and are probably like 10 bites worth of ice cream. What a great invention for those of us who have no self-control.

We also ran into a man in the lobby during breakfast yesterday morning who actually had two daughters about the age apart that Isaac and Elijah would be due to adoption/pregnancy. I asked him how it had gone for them and he emitted this sort of overwhelmed chuckle. It was filled with love and happiness but also a good deal of fatigue. He said we'll love every minute of it, but that in his opinion, it is harder to raise Irish Twins than it is to raise real twins. He claimed, and others have told me this, that it is harder because the older "twin" is no longer sleeping like a newborn. He is mobile. He is into things. But he is still completely reliant on the parent. Unlike a toddler who can feed himself and walk to the car when you leave for the day. Life is an adventure isn't it?

Today, we hope to get back to Arches during a break to see more of the park. JB is also taking a water rafting class today. Tomorrow afternoon we leave for Colorado. We'll get that evening and the next morning to see Kelsey before heading home to our place on base and the puppy we both really miss. I was glad to hear that Jodi is still my friend after spending the week with our bundle of energy! She's a saint. I truly don't know what we would do without her.

8 comments:

Aimee said...

I just discovered Ben & Jerry's mini bowls this week myself. As someone who cannot eat a ton of sugar, this is totally awesome! Enough to get me over the sweet craving, but not so much it makes me sick!
YUM and way to go Ben & Jerry's!

Thanks for blogging while on vacation, not sure who'd entertain me during my lunch hour if you didn't!

Anonymous said...

Though I have no medical training, can I sign up to be a wilderness doctor? The activities sound awesome!....

Anonymous said...

"Anonymous" comment above is from me btw.... I hit enter prematurely :) Sounds like you are having quite an adventure with your little guy in a hotel.... you're probably using skills you never knew you had!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Angie, I think anyone can take these classes in wilderness medicine -- I would say any science person could be eligible! Come join us! :)

TAV said...

I am laughing out loud at the Isaac-asleep-on-the-mirror pic with the narcissistic caption. Too funny. I LOVE the pics of Arches! You look so beautiful!!!!!! Did I mention that I love pregnant women (esp pregnant friends? :))

AW said...

Wen, have you considered a Bumbo? It helped JK sit up more, which in turn strengthened his back/neck muscles so he could enjoy tummy time more. I started the Bumbo EARLY...like 3 months. By 5 1/2 months he was on all four trying to crawl. I swear by the benefits!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

We got one Andi. I just couldn't bring it on the trip. :(

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

I have to say I do not agree with the comment that Irish Twins are harder than twins. I watched a friend with twins and was absolutely EXHAUSTED. My 2 were hard but my little girlie could actually help me with Lots more than I imagined at 11 months of age. She has always been less needy just by personality so that helped also. We LOVE that our children are so close in age and therefore so close to one another. It will be GREAT! Just hitting 2 & 3 will be wonderful. It gets easier then! :)