Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Wow!

Wow is right. What a great number of comments we received on yesterday's blog. If you didn't comment, please do! This blog will serve as a reminder to all of you who faithfully stood by and supported us during the long four years of infertility and now adoption. I want to be able to read those months and years from now! JB and I sat down and read many of them together. Thank you for your kind words. It is so wonderful to be celebrating this with so many people -- many of whom we do not even know.

To say our lives have been turned upside down by this recent development is a bit of an understatement. Which is why, quite honestly, my blog has been mostly dog-focused lately. The major thing going on was the major thing I couldn't blog about so I had to really focus on other things. Little Scrubs is good for that!

We went from thinking we would be the parents of a nearly one year old little girl sometime around 2010 to finding out that, no, in actuality, we are going to be parents in 2008, one month before our tenth wedding anniversary, to a brand new little baby that could, possibly, be a boy.

JB and I, obviously, never saw this coming. We had basically made the decision that we would never adopt in the U.S. I know many of you reading this have or are, and are very happy with that adoption. We, however, didn't feel comfortable with the openness of many adoptions in the U.S. or the risks involved in the birth mother changing her mind. We also felt like there were plenty of families who only wanted a white child. Since race didn't phase us, we had agreed that we wouldn't pursue a white adoption in the U.S. in an open format.

We are now, proceeding to adopt a white infant in the U.S. in an open adoption format. Go figure.

There were and are many questions/concerns about how this open format will play out. Rest assured JB and I asked ourselves all of those questions and more. In the end though, after lots of discussion, I asked him, "Would we ever say no?" The answer?! NO WAY! And that, was the last chapter on the questions and concerns. They really didn't matter anymore. This was our child!

As I said yesterday, we are planning to find out the sex of the little one. I, actually, am hoping I'll get to be there for that doctor's appointment! When we learn it, we will share it. We also are both hoping to be at the delivery and were thrilled with this. I was hoping at least I could be there, but to find out that JB could be there too was thrilling! While I have yet to step into the baby section of any store (this accomplishment will be a blog in and of itself!) we have started talking about names. But shucks for all of you, that'll be a secret until the little one makes his/her entrance into the world. Since Tara so vehemently protested the naming of our dog we had no idea how badly she might protest the proposed name of our child?! Ha ha! Just kidding Tara -- but we did use that example when deciding not to share. Everyone has a bully or someone in their life that makes them hate a certain name. So we are taking my cousin Sarah's lead and not telling our names!

Other than that, there is a lot of waiting. After numerous conversations, we feel confident that this birthmom has no intention of changing her mind, and we are proceeding with that plan. To say she is a wonderful and unselfish person does not do her justice. She is making an incredibly self-less decision. She is giving up nine months of her life to give this child life and change our lives forever!

So, there it is. There's what's actually going on in our lives outside of Scrubs eating pairs of socks. Thanks for sharing in our excitement with us. We think this child will have quite a bit of attention showered on him/her after such a long wait to add to our family. We can't wait!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is all so awesome! =)
I congratulate you and fully support and respect your decision to keep the names a secret! =) It really is a smart decision in my opinion, and it adds to the surprise of the little one's arrival! =)

Rachel and Hans said...

ok - so i was at this store today and i saw the cutest little fleece snowsuit and i immediately thought - "how cute for john and wendi's may-baby". and then i realized that if you, wendi, have your way, that little may-baby will never need a snowsuit! maybe a swimsuit, but probably not a warm, fleece bunting! :-)

TAV said...

i would happily veto any names you'd like to share with me on the side :) I WISH I COULD DELIVER YOUR BABY!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Doesn't the saying, "April showers bring May flowers" now seem quite profound? The showers and tears of the past were never wasted by God, for now He is designing (especially for you!) a beautiful May baby. "Great is the Lord and worthy of praise; His greatness no one can fathom." Psalm 145:3
A. from TX

Anonymous said...

Well, A from Texas -brought tears to my eyes!! what a beautiful thought...and thinking of even the possibility of Tara delivering your little one is such a wonderful thought! What beautiful people in your life Wen!
love, love, love you

Anonymous said...

I want to be there, too!!

Anonymous said...

Well, Ebby, we'll have to run it by Wendi but we could have a big party at my house. Bring your sleeping bag! (Not sure if Wendi will go for that or not) Tara, you can come too!

Gabbs said...

Oh I love sleepovers. Can I come, too?

Anonymous said...

Sure Gabbi! You won't need a tent will you? LOL!

Anonymous said...

I will be there! And I don't need a tent on my bed.