Tuesday, June 26, 2007

It is possible ...

Believe it or not, it is possible to somehow get into bed with the portable phone on the outside of the bed, fall asleep, and only at 4 in the morning wake up and discover that you are sleeping on a telephone. I have no idea how I managed this.

However, I do think this is proof that Florida must be good luck for me as far as sleeping goes. Or maybe it is the fact that my body, for the first time in three years, is free of fertility medications. Either way, I am sleeping unbelievably well every night. I do wake up to use the restroom periodically (which my roommate from college, Kristi, can vouch for, has always been my style), but I am falling asleep quickly and even when I get up, falling asleep again quickly. Sleeping soundly is such a wonderful feeling. I love going to bed and not waking up in tears, frustrated from tossing and turning all night. JB also loves this as he isn't woken up from my tossing and turning either.

Yesterday I successfully navigated my way to Pensacola to pick Brianna V. up from the airport. "Bri" is seventeen. Her parents, Roy and Joan, have been friends with my parents since before I was born, and I grew up hanging out with Joan all the time and babysitting Bri from the time she was five months old as well as their son Brant who passed away when he was seven and I was thirteen. Anyways, her parents went on vacation to Vermont for two weeks and Bri decided to come hang out with me for a week of that. JB was glad to have someone with his humor to watch Office Space with. I just don't laugh at that movie. All I do is feel bad for the guy who keeps losing his stapler and Jennifer Aniston for her problem with the "flare". These things really bothered me, and I find myself feeling bad for the characters instead of laughing at their plights.

But I did make it to Pensacola without one wrong turn there or back. It's about an hour and fifteen minute drive. Apparently, the Pensacola airport isn't that much bigger than the Fort Walton airport. This is obviously the reason that the tickets into this area are expensive -- period. I've looked at flights to Fort Lauderdale, and they cost more than a flight to Rochester, Minnesota! Are you kidding me?!

I also saw the hospital that JB will be working at the entire month of August as it is across from the airport. This drive back and forth everyday will be a tad bit painful -- not only because it's nearly 3 hours in the car but also because gas is nearly $3 a gallon.

I've also been running again. Another benefit of quitting infertility treatments is that I don't have to be on that stupid "yes you can run month. No you can't run month." Instead, I can run whenever the heck I want to. And I plan to! I am thinking about looking for a 10K and possible a half marathon that I can start training for to give myself a goal of some sort. I feel so good after a good run in the morning both emotionally and physically and am excited to be able to do this for the next few years without huge gaps which require me to return to running out of breath after one block.

The only "fertility" question JB and I currently bouncing around is whether or not I should stay on Metformin. I've now been on this drug for well over two years. Some of you may remember how green I was for six weeks when I first started taking this medication. I was horribly sick for quite some time. However, I'm accustomed to it now and would hate to go off of it and then be told to restart it later. This drug is usually used for diabetics (and I have to remember to tell every nurse that I am not a diabetic as I have had my fingers poked before I realize it a few times). It has some research behind it that indicates it helps non-ovulatory women (me!) ovulate. However, more recent research is indicating this may not be as accurate as originally thought. So, we are still trying to decide whether or not I should continue it or not. If it gives us even a remote chance of conceiving on our own, we'd like me to stay on it. But if, weighed against the possible liver damage side effects and occasional bouts of upset stomach, doesn't measure up, I may go off of it. We are still discussing and will probably talk to my doctor back in Minnesota to see what he thinks.

Actually, on a doctor-related side note, I have a goal I have set for myself. I want to go AT LEAST a year without one single doctor's appointment. I think this is quite possible. I figure I spent enough time in doctor's offices these last three years to last a lifetime. I estimated that I was probably in getting something done at Mayo at least 100 days a year over the last 3 years. That's 300 days!!! I think I deserve 365 off. So, since I have a handy dandy doctor living in my house, I'm going to do my darndest to avoid any appointments for as long as possible. We'll see how well I do! :)

All right, it's nearing 8:00. I'll end with a trivia my mom sent me last week:

Dogs destroy 58000 of these a year.

Anyone? Give it a try in the comments section.

8 comments:

yuan family said...

Shoes?

Joanna said...

Shoes was going to be my guess too....if not, then Homework Assignments? LOL. :)

AW said...

Wendi, so happy to hear your spirit so relaxed! I believe you deserve a year off without doctor appointments and you deserve to run whenever the heck you want. You've been on a hard journey...sit back and enjoy the rest for awhile!

As for trivia, I'd like to say shoes, as my dog LOVES to chew on my shoes, but that just doesn't seem like a high enough number. My coworkers dog had a thing with electronics: remote controls, laptops (yes!), cordless phones, cell phones. Weird!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

I'm going to have to give it Funkymonkey. It is cell phones. Bravo!

And thanks for the encouragement with the time off. It feels WONDERFUL! Hard to not be having a "chance" but so wonderful to not be counting days, going to the doctor weekly, and taking all kinds of cruddy meds. YAY!

Rachel and Hans said...

i was going to say dentures. we had a patient come in the other day whose dog chewed his up. hmm...expensive chew toy, i think!

Anonymous said...

A dog chewed up my daughters retainer one time. If the thing hadn't been so darn cute I might have tried to strangle it.

Amy T. S. said...

Slippers, I think.

AW said...

Seriously? I thought my friend's dog was a little strange for his fascination with electronics. I'll have to tell him he's not so unique! LOL!

Also...when it comes to not having the "chance" when it comes to TTC, there is no such thing in God's plan. His plan is planned...nothing left to chance. ;-)