Friday, June 08, 2007

First real day in Florida

Yesterday was the first day that I sort of spent in "normal" fashion. By this I mean, I worked.

The Internet/cable guys finally showed up at 10:00 yesterday morning. I think they were in a pretty sore mood due to the fact that they told me the wait at the service entrance to the base was over an hour long. Then the one tried to move my desk out from the wall without his buddy to help him. Since his buddy had muscles like you see on those body builder shows, I have no idea why he tried this and ended up nearly breaking the leg on my desk. It's not like there weren't two guys there! Three screws popped out before he decided to stop and ask me for help.

Anyways, at least by the time they left, I had Internet! Unfortunately, we are also going to have to get a regular "old fashioned" telephone as well. Bases are supposedly notoriously bad as far as cell phones are concerned and that is definitely the case here. Sometimes the phone will ring in the house, but no one can hear me when I answer it, and I am forced to run outside to chat. It's quite the ordeal. Anyways, we should have that on Tuesday.

I spent the rest of the day (11:00-5:00) trying to catch up for both my jobs. I don't think I need to worry about being bored whatsoever with both these positions to keep me company. Currently I am not splitting them up. I am just writing down hours whenever I switch from Mayo to RLSF. We will see how this works. It may be better, eventually, to be "on the clock" in the morning for one and "on the clock" in the afternoon for the other. We'll let time be the judge of that.

JB is currently doing a month of "in-processing" so his days aren't exceptionally hard or long. It's a lot of "getting to know" you stuff, photos, paperwork etc. Yesterday, he got off shortly after lunch and went and bought us a washer and dryer (should be delivered today) and microwave (here already!) We also went and looked at sofas and mattresses yesterday. We will celebrate our ninth wedding anniversary this month and JB bought our mattress a year before we were married. That's a decade on this mattress. We are contemplating a move to the tempurpedic. Well, mainly JB is contemplating a move to the tempurpedic due to the fact that he sleeps next to a restless, rising frequently wife. They are quite amazing beds. As for sofas, we have been married nine years and have NEVER purchased a sofa. We are currently on our third hand-me-down, and we are thinking it may be time to buy something we really like. We'll take some time with this. We found one yesterday we really liked but goodness are they expensive. I also went and got a fax machine/printer/copier yesterday for me to use in my home office. This will come in very handy.

After our shopping, JB said he wanted us to quickly walk over to one of his fellow intern's house. Matt lives right around the block with his wife Tiffany and their year-old son William. We left to go to their house at 7 and it was nearly 8 before we got there. Let me just say that this is a VERY friendly neighborhood. Everyone was outside, and everyone was wanting to get to know us. Everyone also remarked that we are John and Wendi (like from Peter Pan). How come I really haven't used this line before? That's great!

The bay is one street over from our house, and we actually have a spot for public water access. In addition, we met the base commander (which JB said was a huge deal!) and his wife. They have built a gazebo in their backyard but since it borders the public water access, they have said it is for everyone to use. The gazebo and water is awesome! The colonel is awesome! His wife is really awesome!!!!! Not anything like you'd imagine some big-wig's wife to be. She told me she would soon be by with cookies.

We finally got to Matt and Tiffany's. Tiffany is actually very tall as well (6'1") and was recruited to play college volleyball. She was also a communications/English major. I think she and I will get along very well. They seem like wonderful people and neighbors.

JB is going to try to find me a place to get my blood work done next week to get my results. Other than that, no news is good news.

Here's something I read this morning which encouraged me. Have a great day everyone!

Psalm 40
I waited patiently for the LORD;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear
and put their trust in the LORD.
Blessed is the man
who makes the LORD his trust,
who does not look to the proud,
to those who turn aside to false gods.
Many, O LORD my God,
are the wonders you have done.
The things you planned for us
no one can recount to you;
were I to speak and tell of them,
they would be too many to declare.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Talk about "pouring out blessings"...sounds as if you two just floated thru the neighborhood! Great to hear you have such terrific neighbors. (they are all probably telling all their friends about you,too!) Can't wait to visit the gazebo-miss you guys already! Have a great day, love ya ps: JB I just dug up some miniature pink lily bulbs for you.The lady who had "Pal" gave us some when we moved to this house -twenty-eight years ago!

AW said...

So glad you're getting settled in so quickly! And I LOVE that scripture...I've ready it so many times for encouragement!

Still praying for you daily,
Andi