Friday, June 15, 2007

I need to get used to ...

  • The fact that our refrigerator here does not automatically shut when you open it. (I've left the door open quite a few times already.)
  • Trash day. (What the heck is trash day? There was no such thing as that in the condo.)
  • The fact that our refrigerator door swings the opposite way. (JB says he can change this around. Didn't know that was possible.)
  • Shaving my legs. (Wait! I can wear shorts two days in a row now.)
  • Sleeping with a lighter blanket. (We keep waking up hot because we are sleeping with our same Minnesota blankets.)
  • The fact that JB cannot hear me call his name in the house. (It's way bigger than anything we've ever had.)
  • The fact that the cold water in the sink is really warm. (In Minnesota the cold water is always FREEZING!)
  • A small dishwasher. (You can't even fit a small plate on the top rack.)
  • The fact that there are a lot more bugs.*
  • Shoes in the house. I've been here just a little over a week and am beginning to think this may be a losing battle. After living in Minnesota for four years, shoes in the house grosses me out. (Do you know where those things have been?) But honestly, if I asked the cable guy to take off his shoes here, I think he'd leave and never come back. (In Minnesota fix-it guys take their shoes off or cover their shoes with booties.)
  • Always having ID on me. I don't need it to get off-base, but I need it to get back on! (I got my new ID the other day and got to keep my old one. I'm leaving one in the car permanently.)
  • The fact that there are a lot more bugs.**

*On Saturday, a wasp flew into the living room. I had no idea what to do. JB wasn't home. I tried to call him, but in order to get cell phone service I would have to go outside past the huge hornet. So, I covered up the bird (if that huge wasp stung her, I think she'd die) and opened up the back sliding glass door and the front door. I then hid behind the sink and prayed that I wouldn't have to resort to the "shoo ... shoo" method and make the wasp angry. Good thing for Mr. wasp he decided to leave a few minutes later!


**I forgot how much I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE palmetto bugs. You know, those big, horrible cochroaches. We haven't found them alive in our house, but we've found them dead. Yuck! Honestly, if I would have remembered this, it might have factored into our decision to come to Florida. Seriously! And to be quite honest, JB hates them almost more than I do. I'd rather see a snake, a mouse, anything other than those big honkin' cockroaches.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup, I will not get used to those palmetto bugs.....the fact that they fly makes it worse. Yuk. But everything else about FL is wonderful right?

Anonymous said...

You had to remind her they fly:) Welcome to Florida, Wen! Make a note to self-check this blog in five or six months and you'll laugh (as you read the Rochester weather report)Get some flying insect bug spray-it beats hiding behind the sink! Or a huge net; though picturing you chasing a bug with a net is almost as funny. You're cute:)

AW said...

LOL@the shaving comment! I always thought you blonde-haired girls had it easy with light hair...that it doesn't show as bad as us dark-haired girls.

As for Palmetto bugs...we have those down here in TX too. Although here in Dallas, not as bad as the coast. There is nothing in the world that will make my husband scream like a little girl, but those bugs will do it. LOL! So it's up to me to be the roach killer. But we have cats that love to chase and kill them, so I get a little help.

Now for the big spiders down here in TX. Those are HIS responsibility to kill!!! And to do it quietly without letting me know, so I'm not paranoid later. :-)

Gabbs said...

Wendi....It's called PEST CONTROL. Look into it, lol. Seriously though, I think I've seen 2 roaches in my condo in 5 years. I've never seen them dead lying around the house either. I give our pest control all the credit.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

We have pest control. We use pest control. I think they were leftover FROM the pest control.

Anonymous said...

Gabby: that is kind of scary if you have pest control and see no dead bugs. I would much rather see them dead!!! :)

Anonymous said...

It is stinking 90 degrees here today. I did not move to MInnesota to have 90 degree weather in June. YUCK!!

Palmetto bugs aren't bad if you have a cat or dog. Maybe you should get a dog, Wendi. A little dog. He/she can eat them and you will never know that they were around.

Did I mention how hot it is here. I think I left out the humid part. I think I am melting!!

Gabbs said...

I don't see them dead OR alive. I see dead ants sometimes, and live ants, but no roaches. You know how its the middle of the night and you turn on the light and then you see them scurry across the room? Well, I don't! I haven't seen that in a long time. I used to see it a lot when I was single, which was bad, cause I'm too afraid to kill them and there was no man around. Babble babble babble....

Anonymous said...

You're so silly Gabby! I do remember those days when we would turn on the light and see them scurry...we haven't seen that either for a long time. It's a beautiful sight!!! I'd rather have pest control than pets!

Anonymous said...

Today I caught a fly with my bare hands! Karate Kid! :)

Ryan & Katie Myhre said...

we have these katydids in texas that are AS BIG AS THE PALM OF YOUR HAND!!!!! and they are so loud it feels like you accidentally left the windows open at night. ryan and i want you to know that you and john are in our warm thoughts and prayers as you continue on the adoption Path...you both have something Amazing awaiting you, regardless of what route it takes to find it!!!!!! thanks for blogging!:)

Anonymous said...

If you don't have any bug spray in the house to kill things like bees and wasps a simple can of hairsray will do the trick. Just spray it on the wasp and the wings will get sticky and stiffen up and they won't be able to fly. It won't kill them, but once they're no longer able to fly you can squish them or scoop them up with a piece of paper and throw them outside. This is a little trick my uncle gave me 20+ yrs ago and it really works.