Sunday, February 19, 2017

We Bought a Farm: Becoming My Dog and Hiking the Land









I've been very purposeful in trying to keep my mood and anxiety in good shape. I am really only struggling mildly, and JB and I both think it is due to the absence of sunlight and my hormones conspiring against me at the same time. 

The pictures above were taken on my hike of the property. It feels almost like betrayal to take selfies with any dog but my Scrubby. But you know, these dogs are good dogs, and I am really falling for them. I take turns on each of my hike taking a different dog. They love it and are great hikers. Right now I keep them on leash, but I let the leash down frequently when we end up on opposite sides of trees, etc. And Arabelle, our female Australian Shepherd is proving to be the brains behind the operation, while Ritter is more the lover of the two. Man is she sharp. I fell once, and she was right back at my side in a second. She checked for me over her shoulder nearly non-stop, and did not even come close to bolting when off-leash.

One of the things I've been trying to do regularly is hike our property. This is the first time I mapped it using an online app. Hiking the entire wooded areas and back to our house is 1.68 miles. I did it in 49 minutes. That might not sound very impressive, but it is very steep. I mean there are parts where I am grabbing trees to make my way up. So I am proud of this. I thought it would be fun on this page to keep track of the times I hike the property to keep myself accountable. I'm also going to try to put a map on here at some point of the hike. I hope to be doing this at least three times a week.
  • February 15, 2017: 1.68 miles in 49 minutes
  • February 17, 2017: 1.76 miles in 51 minutes
  • February 19, 2017: 1.72 miles in 47.50 minutes

No comments: