Monday, December 14, 2015

Review: The Good Dinosaur


On a bit of a whim, Abigail and I went and saw a movie this weekend. We very rarely go see movies at the theatre mostly because Hannah can't quite sit through them yet and because they are so expensive!

However, Abigail had a birthday party to go to and JB had to take the other three kids to North Carolina to pick up some feed. I therefore had the entire day just to spend with her, and I thought a movie would be fun.

I checked The Good Dinosaur on Pluggedin.com before we left, but honestly, the review was written in very flowery prose, and I sort of didn't read it closely enough to catch the fact that this movie was a bit scary. Abigail was quite unnerved during it. As an adult, I really enjoyed it and thought it was well done and interesting and pretty moving, but my daughter sat on my lap and just asked to go home during a good portion of the middle of it.

However, while I think Isaac (age 7 and not nearly as effected by sadness and scary things as my other kids) could handle it, I would not allow Sidge to see it. (He is really affected by sad things and there are quite a few sad and happy-sad moments in the movie.) Honestly, I don't think I'd bother with this movie if your kids aren't solidly into elementary school.

As far as inappropriate content, there isn't much that your kids would "get" but there are definitely a few things that I caught that flew over Abigail's head to also be aware of.

Just my two-cents! And as always, feel free to leave a contrasting review in the comments.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the review. Did you know on Tuesday Carmike in Greenwville has $5.00 movies all day? Also, I like plugged in but I also check www.kids-in-mind.com and commonsensemedia.org. Usually I check all 3 but that does depend on the movie too. Just passing those along in case you didn't know.

Debbie said...

Oh take her to see "The Peanuts Movie"!!! Take all your kids to see it. It has been a long time since I have seen a movie this perfectly charming, full of hope and joy, and a solid good message. PluggedIn.com fell all over themselves praising this movie, which they very often don't do. Truly, truly, this is the best kid and family movie to see!!