Friday, August 10, 2012

Turkey reflections from Sarahbee

Most of my friends from Turkey have now returned to life in the USA. A few moved to different overseas locations. I read my friend Sarahbee's blog post today about her return to America after spending two years in Turkey.

She wrote: Our arrival in Omaha was INCREDIBLE (yep, I cried). It was so good to see our family and friends in person. It was so good to be home. In a weird way, it felt so comfortable and familiar, almost like we'd never left America and Turkey was just a dream. 

It is always so interesting when someone else manages to put into words what you are feeling. Right now, my life in Turkey feels exactly that. It feels a dream. While we still don't live in America and are still in another country, being in Europe is very different from Asia. Things here are very American-like. So much so that I can often forget I am not in the USA. But in Turkey, I never forgot. Life was so very different. I spent two years with some wonderful people. How does it already feel so long ago?

Sarahbee also commented on her return to the luxuries of the USA. This I can still relate to. Remember, where we live now there are no malls. There are no Targets. No WalMarts. No department stores. And there are absolutely ZERO fast-food restaurants. (We are actually happy about this. It forces you to not take the easy way out when it comes to making dinner.)

Me with three of my dearest Turkey friends: Sarahbee, Stebbins, and Rana

I remember going home for a visit earlier this year. Sarahbee's experience was exactly my experience. She writes:

My first several trips to Target were overwhelming. Literally, the amount of options made me feel dizzy and tired. The lights were so bright. There were so many people. Instead of 5 options for mascara, there were 35. I stood in the make-up aisle with eyes glazed over. Overwhelmed, I almost left empty handed, I just had to make a run for it. Then, last minute, I just despertately grabbed one and quickly left. When did shopping at Target become so stressful?!

I've also felt that way at Hy-Vee, our local grocery store. I froze in front of the massive wall of coffee creamers. America must've invented 75 new creamer flavors while I was overseas! I commented to the woman next to me "There are too many choices! It's stressful!"

She stared blankly at me, laughed politely, grabbed her creamer and left quickly. I thought about explaining "Wait...it's because I lived in Turkey..." but then decided to just let her go.

It does seem like a dream. How I long to sit with my Turkish girlfriends again, like old times ... and yet how glad I am for a new direction for our life. We shared something precious; something only we could ever understand. To all of my Turkish girlfriends -- I love you. I  miss you. I look forward to hugging you again soon.

1 comment:

Dr. Linda said...

I miss you too. A bunch.