Thursday, August 23, 2012

Look forward

I just read this on my friend Stebb's blog. Stebb's is in DC now -- talk about a huge change! In addition, they've been withou their "stuff" for much longer than expected. Well, their wait is over and the crates pulled into the driveway today. Oh what a great feeling.

I loved the way Sarah put life when you are moving. She wrote: I remember before we left Turkey, our friend Dan made a comment at dinner that I loved. He said that he couldn't wait for that moment when the last box was unpacked and there was nothing left on the moving checklist. When all that's left to do is to resume your routines, to hit the "play" button on your life again. I feel that moment getting closer and closer. And I think, in that moment, that my smile might make my face crack. I can't wait.

What an accurate way to explain it. You just want to stop the good byes and find your new normal. Your new life. The new way it is going to be. I realized, in reading Stebb's post, that for us, we are there. We are "settled in." We are doing normal, life things. Whatever those may be. And it does feel good. You miss people somethin' awful, but you know you have to look forward and embrace the new life you are living.

Even when your little Sidge says at dinner, "I miss my best friend William, Mommy."

Fight the tears. Look forward. New life.

No comments: