Sunday, September 05, 2010

Yum!

Hatice not only cleaned my entire house and did all my laundry this week. But she cooked a Turkish meal for us as well. Last night was our first helping (we plan to have Nick over tonight for helping #2). As we finished the meal, both JB and I agreed that we would love to return to the kitchen for more. It was so good. But we were so full. Some sort of chicken tava meal. I'm not sure what was in it but it was served over rice and orzo. Delicious! Loved it! She gave me a list of the ingredients she needed, and the ones that we couldn't get past the language barrier, she picked up and I paid her for it. Her husband also made some sort of pepper paste called "Shalza" I think that she said we need to keep in Tupperware in our fridge for her to use again in the future. I especially felt bad because she was cooking this during Ramazan which meant she couldn't even taste-test the food. But she insisted.

I must admit that I have been ruined forever. I know a housekeeper in the States will cost me three times as much, but I don't think I can ever return to the dark,side.

The "black market" issues complicate everything here for me. I would love to help Hatice out and give her extra little gifts, but unfortunately, we cannot give our housekeeper or gardener anything that they have not paid taxes for. Our BX and Commissary on Base are all duty free. However, if Hatice were to purchase those same products off Base, she would be charged a Turkish tax. Apparently, of the $40 I pay her, she only gets $20! Yikes! The U.S. government wants to make sure that we continue to have good relations with Turkey and are allowed to have duty free items. The government takes this very seriously, and could actually kick JB out of the military if I don't adhere. I believe I can buy gifts for her that are from the Turkish economy so that is probably what I will do.

Anyways, Hatice. I need to get a photo of her up on the blog. She's awesome!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am STILL trying to adjust to no househelp and gardner (and their presence around me working from my home during the day!)...I am wondering if people could send gifts thru your mom that don't come thru you and JB!? Like is there something she would specially like or even English books that we could send from here!?