Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Hatice's house

Yesterday I took Hatice home. This was impromptu, not planned whatsoever. I was dressed in my t-shirt and shorts (not in my typical skirt or pants for off-Base adventures). JB got home early, I had a car (rarity), and she asked if I could run her up to the gate. She usually takes a bus there but she could avoid the bus if I drove her. From there, she would walk home. But geez, she only lives a few blocks from the Base so I decided to just run her home.

JB was not happy about this. He does not want me to go off-Base by myself. This is hard for me. I feel very safe, but the truth is, we are advised to always have a travel buddy. This is probably the most difficult part about living here, the fact that we can't really just "go somewhere." I have to learn how to respect my limits. I need to plan ahead to have a friend with me, even if I only want to venture into the Alley. I don't really like this, but it is what it is.

On the way to the gate we passed another housekeeper who was about to miss her bus. So I moved aside a car seat and let her climb in as well.

Now that I know JB's feelings on the matter, I probably won't do this solo again. But yesterday, venture off I did. Hatice first took me by her husband's convenience store. Imagine a store jam-packed with everything imaginable and no air conditioning and you have the place pictured correctly. He's been in business five years, and like most Turks, sits outside and talks to other men when he isn't inside working. I told Hatice I was not dressed properly to meet him. She said that I was fine. He was a kind man, and it appeared Hatice had told him nice things about me by the way he responded to me.

It's funny, his store is only one street off the Alley. The prices are way lower. The conditions very different. The Alley caters to Americans. He caters to Turks. I definitely plan to return, however, despite the fact that I am an American.

Next door to the convenience store was Hatice's brother's shop. A tailor. This was very "Nigerian" in feel. Hot again and sewing machines and clothes everywhere. I really like the tailor I found in the Alley so I may continue to use her despite the fact that I feel loyal to Hatice.

After that it was off to Hatice's house. If I understood her correctly through a combination of English words she knows and Turkish words I know, after ten years of renting a home, they bought this home three months ago. It is in an apartment. The hallways of the apartment are not taken care of and rundown, but her house was quite nice. It's the first time I have been inside a Turkish home here, and I was excited to experience it.

They had three bedrooms. One for her and her husband, one that two of her daughters share. (They are fifteen and seventeen.) The other bedroom currently houses her daughter who is marrying next week. (Her fourth daughter is married with a baby in Istanbul.) After that, it will be a guest room. They also had two bathrooms. But one is reserved primarily for guests unless they have to go.

The house is sparsely decorated but very clean. They have a super nice washing machine, but they hang dry all their clothes. (This is very common of all the homes around Turkey. Clothes hanging out over rails everywhere.) One room has air conditioning, but otherwise, it is fans that keep the house cool. The kitchen is very modernized (dishwasher!) but small and warm. There is a computer in the living room which the daughters know how to work but Hatice has no clue. She actually had marble counter tops. I couldn't understand if she splurged on these or if they got a good deal. She tried to tell me but we weren't on the same page communication-wise for that part of the conversation.

I was offered fresh figs (which are quite different from dry figs) that I took home with me. They also gave me little cakes to take with me as well. I received an invitation to Tuba's (not sure if I spelled that right but it is how it is pronounced) wedding.

Unfortunately, we won't be able to attend since we are going to Germany next week! (More on that in an upcoming post).

1 comment:

Mrs. H said...

Oh I love reading about your adventures! LOVE IT! Keep em' coming...but be safe ;)
Love from Texas!