Friday, September 24, 2010

Boring?

Yesterday I experienced what it might be like to not have two little kiddos at once. I realized that being as Isaac was 8.5 months old when Elijah was born, I have never experienced a solo toddler since I've become a mom.

Both boys are under the weather, Elijah especially so, and as a result, sleep was the name of the day yesterday. Take a look at how it all played out:

Elijah: Up at 6:00a
Isaac: Up at 7:00a
[Note that 7-8:30a, while JB was home, was the only time ALL DAY that they were both awake!]
Elijah: Asleep from 8:30a-2:30p!
Isaac: Asleep from 1:00p-5:30p!

Now here's the thing. I would have thought that this would be glorious. But in fact, it was, and I hesitate to even write the words, but ... boring. I was the entertainment instead of them entertaining each other. (Which I have been told by many moms-of-twins is the best part of the two-for-one-deal.)

Of course, when they are both awake I am breaking up fights, distracting one, and bee-bopping between dirty diapers, feedings, play times, and what-not for two boys and a big dog. But on this day, it was just one kiddo.

Normally, I do not have a moment where I just sit down unless I am reading to them. There is always something going on. But yesterday, I sat quite a bit. It was weird. It is true that when you have two together, you can't imagine doing it any other way. Just as those of you who are not in my shoes would probably say you wouldn't want to do it the way we have.

God does give you just what you can handle. And I'm glad with what God gave me.

P.S. Tonight is the ball. We plan to put the boys to bed and have a sitter just be here while they are sleeping. It'll mean going a little late but with them being sick, we don't want a sitter to have to deal with that. The purple dress is the dress of choice so stay-tuned for pics of our night on the town!

3 comments:

Jess said...

Have fun at the ball!!

carrie said...

"God does give you just what you can handle."

Thank you for reminding me of this. I have a 15-month-old and just found out I'm pregnant while pursuing private adoption. The entire adoption process so far has been relatively stress-free because I'm truly just leaving it in God's hands knowing that if it's meant to be it will work out. Regardless of the pregnancy, we plan to continue to pursue adoption and the thought about what would happen if I was, oh, 8 months pregnant and got a call about a baby has crept into my head and made me freak out a bit.

Your reminder that it won't happen if I can't handle it helped put my mind at ease :)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Carrie, what a wonderful blessing. i am proof that God is a God of perfect timing!