Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Toddler Train





My handy dandy Toddler Busy Book instructs that with toddlers, it's the process, not the product, that counts. The value of an activity comes from what they do and what they learn rather than what they produce.

Wow is that ever the case.

Today we made a "Toddler Train." We took some old Christmas boxes and using some ribbon and plastic straws (to hold the string in place in each box), we created a train that the kids could pull around and put things into. Our new friend William was hanging out with us, and I decided to get crafty.

The boys loved "helping" me make the box. They watched and grabbed and fought and yelled and laughed over what I was doing.

Then, once the box was officially created, the party was over. They pulled the trains around for about 45 seconds and then moved onto the next thing.

But it was a simple activity, they loved making them, and it killed about twenty minutes. I also think that the train will reemerge throughout the next few days.



P.S. And yes, Isaac is wearing sunglasses in these pictures. He wore these sunglasses (which I think we got from Ms. Brittney when one of the boys was born) for about three hours at which point he told me his eye was hurting. I took them off to discover that he had, in fact, had some sort of allergic reaction. Since he hadn't eaten anything unusual, we think that maybe he's also allergic to a product in the glasses material? I called JB. He was on his way home from lunch anyways (which he does nearly every day!) and we gave him some Benadryl. Thank the Lord it went down before we needed to use an Epi-pen since JB told me I would be the shot dispenser since I had never done it before. Egads!

2 comments:

Rabens Family said...

Oh no! I am so sorry that he is allergic to the sunglasses. :( Poor little guy. Give him hugs and kisses from us.

Becky said...

Poor Isaac, hope he has a speedy recovery.

I am loving this book - please keep sharing. Hopefully, I will need these ideas very soon!