Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Sleep side notes

It's 12:54am. What the heck am I doing up you say? I have no earthly idea whatsoever. Just still am not quite feeling myself. Just can't sleep. Just ate a bowl of cheerios. I never eat in the middle of the night. But they were good.

Wondering if my daily naps will need to be eliminated. For the last few months, probably since Elijah was born, I have managed to get in an afternoon "rest" nearly everyday. After lunch, when both boys go down, I play with Scrubs, and then go down myself, usually with Scrubs perched by my side. I don't always sleep. But I make myself read or put my feet up, and is often the case, I fall asleep. For the last ten months, I have never struggled sleeping at night even with my afternoon snooze. I have fallen into bed at 8pm or maybe 9 and very rarely 10 without hesitation and without looking back. But the last few nights it has been different. Maybe I have to avoid the afternoon snooze. Or maybe it is just that I am not feeling good.

I have no real direction to go in with this post. Beware. Randomness ahead.

Side note: after baths tonight, Isaac peed on a book. I guess this means my "Quick! Run to your bedroom to get your diapers on!" game is no longer a safe bet. Two nights in a row probably means he is enjoying the experience, and I fear a routine. JB was changing Elijah, and we let Isaac do his nightly run through the house completely naked. Suddenly JB turned and said, "Wendi. He's peeing. On his book." Sure enough, one board book was completely saturated. So I guess I need to do diapers before letting them do the run-through-the-house-naked-dance.

Another side note: Today I got to go to MOPs. I haven't been able to go very often this semester due to travelling and a different boy being sick on different Tuesdays. But I got to go today, and I was really blessed especially since was our last meeting until mid-January. The gal who gave the devotional did a fabulous job. The pastor who spoke did a fabulous job. We made beautiful ornaments that even I, the non-craftiest person on the face of the planet was able to make look halfway decent. And of course I ate a lot of yummy food. Too much yummy food.

On Thursdays, when I go to Bible Study, the boys are in the same class. But on for MOPs, when there are more kids, they are split up. Today, I went to pick up the boys. Elijah wasn't in his class. Where was he? His teacher smiled and said that he was just a bit on the grumpy side so they moved him to Isaac's class. I went to Isaac's classroom and both boys were playing sweet as could be. Ms. Dawn said that once Elijah joined his brother's class, he was happy as a clam. Truth be told, Elijah fit in a lot better in that classroom anyways. Size-wise, he seemed to big for his first class. Maybe they'll let me keep them together from this point onward. We love that they love each other and are so bonded to each other. We love that they sleep even better when sharing a room than they do when they apart. It truly feels like twin brothers (from different mothers). How awesome is that?

Another side note anyone? Why not? It is 1:05am. Why not keep going. I have some new recommendations or shall I say "reviews" for you.

First the movie Australia. Loved, loved, loved this movie! It was long. But it was amazingly beautiful and an unbelievably powerful story about racism, infertility, adoption, all the while capturing our world's history and what really makes a family! There were a few choice items included but overall, a clean picture as well. Rent this if you haven't seen it already.

I also finished a book last week. Mercy by Jodi Picoult. First let me say that Picoult is a fantastic writer. She is amazing. I say that because she kept me reading a book that made me so angry. While this was an interesting story, it dealt with some pretty tough topics (euthanasia and an affair) that were just a bit too much for me to deal with. Don't get me wrong. I still wanted to read this everyday, but I really can't recommend both for content and overall theme.

The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult practically mirrored Mercy in how I felt about it. A page turner. Amazingly well written. But the content was incredibly deep and a bit over-the-top on many occasions. Again, another one I can't recommend due to content.

Picoult readers, and I know there a bunch of you who follow my blog, what are some of her best pieces? I love her writing so much, but I really want to read her best works first. I heard Salem Falls was good. Is that accurate?

Last side note. I am finally feeling tired. Signing off everyone.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I started Mercy and couldn't ever get into it. I think because of the content in it. I also have never been able to read 10th Circle (though I think I may have seen a Lifetime movie on that one). Haven't read Salem Falls either. If you like Jodi Picoult so much you should also try Anita Shreve. She has the same writing style that pulls you in. I loved Light on Snow by her. A really good book!

Anonymous said...

I sure hope you finally got some quality sleep, Coach K!

I've always claimed that Picoult is my favorite author - I have read almost all of her books. But I can't honestly say why they are such page turners! If you haven't read Picture Perfect, its a good one. Also did you ever read Keeping Faith? That one might have been my favorite by her. Give it a try! :)

Shelly said...

I just finished reading Jodi Picoult's Change of Heart. I would not recommend it. I really enjoy reading Picoult's books, but this one disturbed me.

TAV said...

Yes!!! I agree with Jennifer- Anita Shreve is an awesome, awesome writer. Wen- I can't remember if you read "My Sister's Keeper," but I think it's one of Picoult's best, as is Plain Truth. I think "The Pact" was good, as was "Change of Heart." I hope I'm not confusing my authors.

Joia said...

I'm curious about the beautiful MOPS ornament! No picture? If not, I'll see it at your house some time. =)